Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

1997 olds 88: fuel pump..i will have no power to the windows or seats

Customer Question

something keeps shutting off my fuel pump on my 1997 olds 88, i will have no power to the windows or seats.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 9 years ago.
I pulled the wiring diagram for your car and the fuel pump, windows and seats do not share the same circuit. This means that if these all shut down at the same time then the source before these branch off should be the problem. I would check the back side of the fuse panels for bad connections, and any body fuses/fusible links for the problem. This is going to be something a little out of the ordinary. So botXXXXX XXXXXne is you need to think outside the box so to speak. Also don't forget about the ground portion of the circuits, this as important as the power side. If you loose a connection on the ground then the device will shut down just as if you had pulled the power. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hamman's Post: do you know exactly where the fuel pump relay is located, maybe i'm not replcing the right relay
There is a ground behind the kick panel, I believe it is G 101 that can shut all of these down, check that too. I will get a diagram of the fuel pump relay and post it for you , but check that ground first. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the ground wire is intact i can hot wire the pump and the car will run until all the fuel is depleted from the line also my security system lite is on can this cause the pump to not energize
Oh yes that makes a big difference. Here is the right up from the factory service manual.

The PASS-Key½ II system prevents the engine from starting if the proper resistance is not sensed from the ignition key. Only one of the 15 resistance values available works with each PASS-Key½ II decoder module.

The PASS-Key(R) II decoder module controls the starter enable relay and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) fuel enable input. If the PASS-Key(R) II decoder module does not send the proper Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to the PCM fuel enable input, the PCM does not allow fuel to be provided to the engine.

Resistor sensing contacts, located in the Ignition Key Lock Cylinder, make contact the with the key resistor pellet on the key when it is inserted. Rotating the lock applies ignition voltage to the PASS-Key(R) II decoder module, allowing the module to read the pellet resistance across terminals B7 and B8. The module compares the pellet resistance to the resistance value stored in the module.

If the key resistor pellet has the proper resistance, the PASS-Key(R) II decoder module grounds terminal A4, energizing the starter enable relay. At the same time, the module provides the cranking fuel enable signal at terminal A3 to inform the PCM to allow fuel to flow.

If the resistance is incorrect, the PASS-Key(R) II decoder module shuts down for approximately three minutes. During this interval, there is no output at terminal A3 or A4 and the "SECURITY" indicator illuminates. The module ignores the ignition switch input during this shutdown period. For this reason, the timer runs and the SECURITY" indicator remains illuminated with ignition ON or OFF.

Once the timer expires, the next time the ignition switch cycles from "OFF" to "ON," the PASS-Key(R) II decoder module timer resets. A key having the correct code can then be used to start the engine.

Good luck with it, and Thanks for using Just Answer.