Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 hyundai accent: a heater core..find instructions

Customer Question
i need to replace a...
i need to replace a heater core in a 2000 hyundai accent. i was wondering if there was a place for me to find instructions to do so online.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
6/11/2008
Auto Mechanic: OnlineHelp, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Accent

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 90 seconds for the SRS memory battery to drain.

CAUTION

After disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait for at least 30 seconds for the SRS module to deplete its stored energy.

3. Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.

4. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Heater hoses with the vacuum hose from the heater housing

• Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant

• Suction and discharge hoses from the evaporator assembly

5. Remove the SRS module and the steering wheel:

• Steering wheel-to-SRS module nuts

• SRS module from the steering wheel and disconnect the electrical connector

• Steering wheel-to-steering column nut

• Steering wheel from the steering column

6. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Multi-function switch assembly

• Front and rear console assemblies

• Lower left side crash pad

• Center fascia panel and disconnect the connectors and vacuum connector from the heater control assembly

Instrument panel assembly-Accent

Instrument panel assembly-Accent

Click to Enlarge
      Instrument panel screw locations-Accent

Instrument panel screw locations-Accent

Click to Enlarge
    • Heater control assembly and the audio system

• Glove box

• 4 mounting bolts from the passenger air bag mounting bracket, if equipped

• Main crash pad assembly

• Cables from the heater housing and the thermostatic switch connector from the evaporator housing

• Any remaining connectors

• Main crash pad assembly

• 3 evaporator mounting bolts (or nuts)

• Evaporator housing

• 3 mounting bolts from the heater housing

• Heater housing

7. Disassemble the heater housing by removing or disconnecting the following:

• Vacuum motor-to-heater housing bolts (2 for each vacuum motor)

• Vacuum motor rod end connection and remove the vacuum motors

• Heater housing cover clips

• Cover and the heater core

View of the heater housing assembly and related components-Accent

Click to Enlarge
        Exploded view of the heater core, heater housing and related components-Accent

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Assemble the heater housing by installing or connecting the following:

• Heater core and the cover

• Heater housing cover clips

• Vacuum motor rod end connection and install the vacuum motors

2. Install or connect the following:

• Heater housing

• 3 mounting bolts to the heater housing

• Evaporator housing

• 3 evaporator mounting bolts (or nuts)

• Main crash pad assembly

• Any remaining connectors

• Cables to the heater housing and the thermostatic switch connector to the evaporator housing

• Main crash pad assembly

• 4 mounting bolts to the passenger air bag mounting bracket, if equipped

• Glove box

• Connectors and vacuum connector to the heater control assembly. Install the center fascia panel.

• Lower left side crash pad

• Front and rear console assemblies

3. Install the SRS module and the steering wheel by installing or connecting the following:

• Steering wheel to the steering column

• Steering wheel-to-steering column nut and torque to 30-37 ft. lbs. (40-50 Nm)

• SRS module to the steering wheel and connect the electrical connector

• Steering wheel-to-SRS module nuts

4. Install or connect the following:

• Multi-function switch assembly

• Suction and discharge hoses to the evaporator assembly

• Heater hoses with the vacuum hose to the heater housing

5. Refill the cooling system.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. Evacuate, charge and leak test the air conditioning system refrigerant.

8. Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.

OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic