Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1991 DODGE B350 VAN 5.

Customer Question
9 ENGINE RUNS SOMETIME THEN...
1991 DODGE B350 VAN 5. 9 ENGINE RUNS SOMETIME THEN KILLS AND TAKES A TIME TO START HE SAID THEY ALREADY CHANGED THE DISTRIBUTOR Cap and rotor and the coil wires and plugs no help there we also changed the pickup in the distributor what else would you recomend also there is no spark from cap to wires also wwould ignition switch cause this to happen he said that the over head lights and electric door went out at the same time the problem started and then the starter part of the switch went out you had to jump off the starter to run the van
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/4/2008
Auto Mechanic: supertech, mastertech replied 9 years ago
supertech
supertech, mastertech

Hi my name is John.

When it won't start do you have power to the coil?

Does the other side of the coil flash as your turning over the engine?

graphic

1. Check that there is sufficient battery voltage (12.4v) for the cranking and ignition system
  2. Crank the engine for five seconds while monitoring voltage at the coil positive terminal.
    • If the voltage remains near zero during the entire period of cranking refer to TEST 9 to test the Auto Shut-down Relay (ASD)
    • If voltage is at "near battery" voltage and drops to zero after 1-2 seconds of cranking refer to COMPUTERIZED ENGINE CONTROLS/DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING for diagnosis of pickup coil to single board engine controller (SBEC) circuit.
    • If voltage remains at "near battery" voltage during the entire 5 seconds go to next step.
  1. Turn key OFF and remove the 60-way connector from the single board engine controller (SBEC). Check the connector for any spread terminals.
  2. Remove the leads to the positive terminal of the coil and connect a jumper wire between battery positive and coil positive terminals

graphic

graphic

1. Momentarily ground terminal 19 of the 60-way connector with the special jumper. When the ground is removed a spark should be generated.
  2. If a spark is generated refer to COMPUTERIZED ENGINE CONTROLS/DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING for diagnosis of the SBEC.
  3. If no spark is seen, use the jumper to ground the coil negative terminal directly.
    • If spark is produced, check wiring harness for an open condition and repair as necessary.
    • If no spark is produced, replace the ignition coil

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

I would test the power and ground for high resistance with a ohm meter to the ignition switch and the headlight switch.Have the battery disconnected when test for resistance.

let me know if you need more.

please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

supertech
supertech, mastertech
what do you think about the alternator not charging do you think this problem could be from the ignition switch also all problems started about the same time but he said a guy put 12 volts on a wire and noticed that the alternator started charging when you touched and let go of the wire,also when engine kills the fuel pump and injectors still work do you think that rules out the asd relay im leanning towards the ignition switch or computer and or coil

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

i test wires J1 red wire at the ignition for power and wires J10 pink ,J2 dark blue for power 12 volts

I test the ignition switch first.

The ignition coil is powered by the ASD relay and controlled by the engine controller. The ASD relay sends voltage to the positive side of the coil, and the engine controller is connected to and controls the negative side. The engine controller applies and removes the ground from the coil according to signals it receives from various sensor inputs. When the engine controller applies the ground to the coil, secondary voltage is discharged to the spark plugs via the distributor . When the ground is removed from the coil circuit, secondary voltage is not allowed to flow to the spark plugs until the engine controller re-applies the ground

hey john inm sorry i had som famliy problems plese accepet my apoagies a iill sti need some help with this problem ho can i reachyoufneeded will pay more

yes ask the question

I have a 1999 ram 1500 no tail lights running light a no flashers And AC blower does not work please help will pay
supertech
supertech
supertech, mastertech