How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask supertech Your Own Question
supertech, mastertech
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 2251
Experience:  ase master auto tech,triple chrys master tech,42 yr experinece,adv. level spec. ASE. HEV chrys spec.
Type Your Car Question Here...
supertech is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1998 Mercedes: I replace a broken glow plug..Diesel..without removing

Customer Question

How do I replace a broken glow plug in a 1998 Mercedes E300 Diesel without removing the head?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  supertech replied 9 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

Where is it broke off at?

Is any thing sticking out of the side of the head?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It is a clean break with nothing sticking out. I want avoid removing the head and have heard that there is a kit that can be used to repair but I haven't been able to find it.

Tom Quaid
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  supertech replied 9 years ago.

Yes there is . There two way to do this one you drill a small hole 1/8inch through the center of the glow plug and use an easy out to remove it.if you get off on the hole you buy an heia-coil set for that have to measure the thread on a different glow plug and order the heia-coil set at a parts store.Make sure you go in straight.When you get the broken glow plug out.Disable the engine so it won't start and turn the engine over to blow out any loose material out the hole.

Also left hand drill bits helps.

let me know if you need more.

please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

snap-on sell a good remove set with a pilot,it about 85.00 dollars

supertech and other Car Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Expert:  supertech replied 9 years ago.
Good luck