Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1998 Mercedes: I replace a broken glow plug..Diesel..without removing

Customer Question
How do I replace a...
How do I replace a broken glow plug in a 1998 Mercedes E300 Diesel without removing the head?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
6/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: supertech, mastertech replied 9 years ago
supertech
supertech, mastertech

Hi my name is John.

Where is it broke off at?

Is any thing sticking out of the side of the head?

It is a clean break with nothing sticking out. I want avoid removing the head and have heard that there is a kit that can be used to repair but I haven't been able to find it.

Tom Quaid
Are you there?

Yes there is . There two way to do this one you drill a small hole 1/8inch through the center of the glow plug and use an easy out to remove it.if you get off on the hole you buy an heia-coil set for that thread.you have to measure the thread on a different glow plug and order the heia-coil set at a parts store.Make sure you go in straight.When you get the broken glow plug out.Disable the engine so it won't start and turn the engine over to blow out any loose material out the hole.

Also left hand drill bits helps.

let me know if you need more.

please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

snap-on sell a good remove set with a pilot,it about 85.00 dollars

supertech
supertech, mastertech
Thanks.
Good luck
supertech
supertech
supertech, mastertech