Shawn
Shawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  PA Certified Inspection emissions, ASE Brakes Suspension, Lead diagnostic Tech.20 years exp
9265294

dodge ram 1500: speedometer..scanner said speed sensor malfunction

Customer Question

01 dodge ram 1500 speedometer does not work scanner said speed sensor malfunction I changed the speed sensor but it still does not work.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.
Customer

What all codes did you get? There are actually three sensors on your truck that could affect the speedometer. Input and output speed sensors in the transmission and the speed sensor in the rear differential. Usually it is the one in the differential.

Which did you replace?

Shawn

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
replaced the one in the trans i think the code was p0500 veh speed sensor A malfunction
Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.

Replace the sensor in the rear differential. It is mounted in the center top. I see this code all the time with no speedometer reading and it almost always turns out to be the differential sensor.

Shawn

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank You I'll try that next
Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.

You are welcome. let me know if you have any trouble. You can come back to this question and reply. Once I see it on my list I can get back to you.

Shawn