Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Need firing order for 1997 pontiac grand am3.1 v6

Customer Question
need firing order for 1997...
need firing order for 1997 pontiac grand am3.1 v6
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
6/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: Robert, Technician replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, Technician

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

Below is the firing order for 3.1L Grand AM.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!

i had sent a larger question before i added that i needed the firing order for this car but i guess what i typed got over written. i repaired myself a stripped out rocker arm bolt hold down in the head and retapped it and helicoiled it and then put it back together to test it. it works but the repair was done to the #1 intake valve which sits next to the #3 exhaust valve. when i bump the engine over to test, both of these valves move in unison instead of alternating.since they are on different cylinders does this matter? and if it does how do I fix it?
according to the diagram you sent me i repaired the #2 intake valve and it sits next to the #4 exhaust valve instead of the #1 and #3 as i previously stated
Auto Mechanic: Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor replied 9 years ago
Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor

HICustomer

This is the correct info on the firing order.

GM 3Engines Firing order: 1-2-3-4-5-6 Distributorless ignition system

The valves appearing to be moving in unison is normal # 1cyl just happens to be on the intake stroke and the #3 is on the exhaust. 1-4 ,2-5,3-6 are companion cylinders which means when #1 is on compression (valves closed) # 4 is on the Exhaust stoke (exhust valve open.

Hope this helps if you have more questions just Ask

Scott

Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Scott,
I have recieved two different images of the firing order in this dialouge yuors and the previous one from gmplus.I just want to be reaasured that the one you have given me is for the pontiac grand am se 3.1 v6 engine before i accept the answer and procede. Paranoid at this point.

No problem,

Cylinder #1 is always the most forward cylinder,

A Birds eye view of the engine, looking down, one head is going to be slightly forward of the other, on your engine the head against the firewall is more forward (closer to the crankshaft pulley) than the one in the front (closer to the radiator).

I have made a crude diagram to illustrate my point,(not the best at this)

graphic

Scott K
Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor