Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Porsche 944: 2.5L..a no spark, no injector condition

I am working on a 1985.5 Porsche 944, 2.5L naturally asperated with a no spark, no injector condition. Where is a good place to start testing and what testing tools do I need exactly? Where can I get the proper oscilloscope? Thanks, Jon
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 9 years ago.
Jon the equipment can get expensive, there isn't hardly time to cover all that here. I can give you a few pointers, and get you going. I would start off with a compression test, and check the timing belt. Once you verify the belt is good you can proceed. You will have the spark plugs out for the compression tests, you should reinstall new plugs. Inspect the ignition system for problems, and bad or dirty connections. The fuel system will not come up until the ignition starts showing activity. You should check every last fuse in the vehicle. Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. The highest failure items that will give you this symptom are the two sensors at the top of the bell housing, they look like this. Also the ignition module may have gone south, it looks like this.

graphicgraphic

Also before you start shopping for a scope, I would purchase a shop manual for the car. Get one with GOOD wiring diagrams in it. You will need it for understanding the wiring in this vehicle. You need a good digital multi meter, a Fluke 83 is a great one. This will take you a long way towards getting this 944 going. Any way good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hamman's Post: We just did a new timing belt and tune-up. The car was running, customer did a test drive, came back shut the car off, paid me and then the car wouldn't restart.

Probably one of the sensors in the back on the bell housing. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.