Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

95 mercury mystique: shifting..speed control sensor but no help

95 mercury mystique transmission not shifting properly replaced speed control sensor but no help

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Do you know if there are any trouble codes in it?

Which sensor was changed?

Is it shifting late, or early? Harsh?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I dont know if there are any trouble codes the speed control sensor was changed but it is still shifting late and harsh however it does occasionally smooth out.thanks

The reason I was asking is there is a service bulletin for that particular concern. That will have to do more with the turbine shaft speed sensor. Let me see if I can ppost a copy of it. There is also one on the pump housing

A/T - CD4E Harsh and Delayed Upshifts/DTC's Stored
Notes
Article No.
02-2-4

02/04/02

TRANSAXLE - CD4E - HARSH AND DELAYED 1-2/2-3
UPSHIFTS - AFTER TRANSAXLE OR TURBINE SHAFT
SPEED SENSOR (TSS) REPLACEMENT - POSSIBLE
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) 628, 642, 645,
646, 647, 648, P0731, P0732, P0734, P0741, AND
P1744

FORD:
1994-1997 PROBE
1995-2000 CONTOUR
2001-2002 ESCAPE

MERCURY:
1995-2000 MYSTIQUE
1999-2002 COUGAR

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with the CD4E transaxle may exhibit harsh and delayed 1-2/2-3 upshifts along with DTCs for gear ratio errors after the Transaxle or Turbine Shaft Speed sensor (TSS) have been replaced. DTCs may include OBD1 codes 628, 642, 645, 646, 647, 648, or OBD II codes P0731, P0732, P0734, P0741, and P1744

ACTION

If the condition occurred after servicing the Transaxle or TSS, refer to the following TSS Selection Chart and select the correct TSS for the vehicle application. Note that each TSS has the Ford engineering part number on it. Also note that there is a TSS kit that includes an instruction sheet, TSS sensor and correct bolt.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If the condition occurred after replacing the Transaxle or TSS, use the TSS Selection Chart and determine the correct sensor for the vehicle.

1.Remove the existing TSS from the CD4E pump body.

2.Reinstall the original TSS sensor, if available, or install the correct TSS as indicated in the Selection Chart.

3.Clear all codes and verify repair.

4.If the condition still exists, follow normal diagnostics as listed in the appropriate model year Workshop Manual.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is this an expensive procedure I really love my car and cant afford a new one