Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Position on camshaft when you set up timing on 2001 isuzo

Customer Question
rodeo 3.2...
position on camshaft when you set up timing on 2001 isuzo rodeo 3.2
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
5/15/2008
Auto Mechanic: OnlineHelp, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.

3. Remove the upper fan shroud from the radiator.

4. Remove the 4 nuts retaining the cooling fan assembly. Remove the cooling fan from the fan pulley.

5. Loosen and remove the drive belts.

6. Remove the upper timing belt covers.

7. Remove the fan pulley assembly.

8. Rotate the crankshaft to align the camshaft timing marks with the pointer dots on the back covers. Verify that the pointer on the crankshaft aligns with the mark on the lower timing cover.

NOTE

When the timing marks are aligned, the No. 2 piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) compression.

WARNING

Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before removing the timing belt. Failure to align the belt and sprocket marks may result in valve damage.

9. Use tool No. J-8614-01, or a suitable pulley holding tool to remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

10. If present, disconnect the 2 oil cooler hose bracket bolts on the timing cover. Move the oil cooler hoses and bracket off of the lower timing cover.

11. Remove the lower timing belt cover.

12. Remove the pusher assembly (tensioner) from below the belt tensioner pulley. The pusher rod must always face upward to prevent oil leakage. Depress the pusher rod, and insert a wire pin into the hole to keep the pusher rod retracted.

13. Remove the timing belt.

14. Inspect the water pump and replace it if there is any doubt about its condition.

15. Repair any oil or coolant leaks before installing a new timing belt. If the timing belt has been contaminated with oil or coolant, or is damaged, it must be replaced.

Using a double clip to hold the belt in place-Isuzu 3.2L  and 3engines

Using a double clip to hold the belt in place-Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L engines

Click to Enlarge
    For maximum timing belt life, install the belt as shown-Isuzu 3.2L  and 3engines

For maximum timing belt life, install the belt as shown-Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L engines

Click to Enlarge
    View of timing belt tensioner and pusher-Isuzu 3.2L  and 3engines

View of timing belt tensioner and pusher-Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L engines

Click to Enlarge
    Proper crankshaft alignment marks for timing belt installation-Isuzu 3SOHC (VIN V) engine

Proper crankshaft alignment marks for timing belt installation-Isuzu 3.2L SOHC (VIN V) engine

Click to Enlarge
    Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-Isuzu 3SOHC (VIN V) engine

Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-Isuzu 3.2L SOHC (VIN V) engine

Click to Enlarge
    Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-Isuzu 3.2L (VIN W) and 3DOHC engines

Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-Isuzu 3.2L (VIN W) and 3.5L DOHC engines

Click to Enlarge
    View of timing belt tensioner pusher-Isuzu 3.2L  and 3engines

View of timing belt tensioner pusher-Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L engines

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Verify that the sprocket timing marks are still aligned and that the groove and the keyway on the crankshaft timing sprocket align with the mark on the oil pump. The white pointers on the camshaft timing sprockets should align with the dots on the front plate.

2. Install the timing belt. Use clips to secure the belt onto each sprocket until the installation is complete. Align the dotted marks on the timing belt with the timing mark opposite the groove on the crankshaft sprocket.

NOTE

The arrows on the timing belt must follow the belt's direction of rotation. The manufacturer's trademark on the belt's spine should be readable left-to-right when the belt is installed.

3. Align the white line on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the right bank camshaft timing pulley. Secure the belt with a clip.

WARNING

If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.

4. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to remove the slack between the crankshaft sprocket and the right camshaft timing belt sprocket.

5. Install the belt around the water pump pulley.

6. Install the belt on the idler pulley.

7. Align the white alignment mark on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the left bank camshaft timing belt sprocket.

8. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the center bolt by hand. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise to give slack between the crankshaft timing belt pulley and the right bank camshaft timing belt pulley.

9. Insert a 1.4mm piece of wire through the hole in the pusher to hold the rod in. Install the pusher assembly while pushing the tension pulley toward the belt.

10. Pull the pin out from the pusher to release the rod.

11. Remove the clamps from the sprockets. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise 2 turns. Measure the rod protrusion to ensure it is between 0.16-0.24 in. (4-6mm).

12. If the tensioner pulley bracket pivot bolt was removed, tighten it to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).

13. Tighten the pusher bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

14. Remove the crankshaft pulley. Install the lower and upper timing belt covers and tighten their bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).

15. Fit the oil cooler hose onto the timing cover and tighten its mounting bracket bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

16. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the pulley bolt to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm).

17. Install fan pulley assembly and tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

18. Install and adjust the accessory drive belts.

19. Install the cooling fan assembly and tighten the bolts to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

20. Install the upper fan shroud.

21. Install the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.

22. Connect the negative battery cable.

sorry but i do not see what i whan to, i need to have a perfect picture from the camshaft and i dont see those , can you please give a better picture from the camshaft ?????

Isn't this the picutre your looking for?

no , beacuse those are the gears , what i need is a picture where i can set up the camshaft , remember this is a twin cam , and i need to know how i can put them back on the right position, and non of those picutre tell me exactly , this camshafts have two marks , thats why im confuise
That is the best picture that I have, I will opt out and pass this on to another expert. You will not be charged for my assistance.
Auto Mechanic: RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
RMillerPhD
RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician
See if these illustrations help you.

If you don't have a New Belt with the timing marks on the belt, you will need to either get a new belt or match a new belt to yours and mark your used belt.

Once you have reviewed the illustration let me know where you confusion resides.

Also, I am assuming that you are changing or reinstalling the belt. If you need data about camshaft installation that is another issue. Let me know what your project entails.

Many of the illustration You have already reviewed above, but there could be more details on a few.

You have many options with today’s internet, so thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Sincerely,

***** *****, Ph.D.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.
RMillerPhD
RMillerPhD
RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician