Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

easiest way to replace a thermostat in 1997 pontiac transport.

Customer Question
What is the easiest way...
What is the easiest way to replace a thermostat in 1997 pontiac transport.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
5/3/2008
Auto Mechanic: JHoop, Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. It has all the Pictures and Procedures needed to complete this simple task. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
How do you get to the thermostat that it below the intake.
There is only 1 "Thermostat". It is located inside the Thermostat Housing on the side of the Engine.

graphic
If you are talking about the Coolant Temp Sensor, it is located on the left side of the Engine on the Top, right above the Thermostat Housing.
graphic
I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Reply to JHoop's Post: how do you get to the bolts on the thermostat when the intake is above the one bolt and the exhaust manifold in infront of the other bolt
If you take out the Air Cleaner and Intake Air Tube, you can reach. The old procedure would have you take out the Exhaust Cross-Over Pipe, but it is not necessary. You can reach with a wrench or flex head socket. Once you get the air intake stuff out of the way, you will see that removing any extra parts is not needed. Let me know if you still can't get it. Thanks, JHoop.

___________________________
how long should it take to change it
Here is what the job pays according to the book.

graphic
If this your first time through, I would imagine around 3 - 3.5 hours to complete the entire job. Just remember, when you take out the thermostat, it will have a little tang on it on one side. Make sure you put the new one back in the same fashion. Let me know if you still need help. Thanks, JHoop.

___________________________
JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
JHoop
JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician