Rob
Rob, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  GM World Class Technician, Senior Master Subaru Technician, 18 years experience
9687792

nissan sentra: driving my..automatic..car doesnt..neutral all the time

Customer Question

I was driving my nissan sentra (automatic) and then it came out of gear. Now the car doesnt go into gear, not even reverse. It seems like its in neutral all the time like when I shift into reverse or drive. the only gear it goes in is park.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomerand welcome to Just Answer! First things first you need to check the fluid level in you Nissan and make sure it has enough fluid in it. If you do not know to check it, you have the car running and leave it in park and pull the dip stick and the fluid should be in the safe area and the fluid should have clear red or pink color to it. If it is low add fluid. It the fluid is ok let me know and we will try something else.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I couldnt find the dipstick for the transmission fluid check. where is it located?
Expert:  Rob replied 9 years ago.
The dip stick should be on the driver side and the handle will red in color. I think it is near the front of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I found it and it was low, added atf but still not going into gear.
Expert:  Rob replied 9 years ago.
I hate to tell you but it about had to be an internal problem that has made the trans quit. Let me ask a few more things before we condem the trans. Is it making any abnormal noises in or out of gear? Is there any lights on since this started?