Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1996 cadillac seville: reads..my spare key, checked for blown fuses

Customer Question
i have a 1996 cadillac...
i have a 1996 cadillac seville that won''t start, the display reads "start enabled due to security system". I tried my spare key, checked for blown fuses, disconnected battery; no luck. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
4/23/2008
Auto Mechanic: stin1974, Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
enabled or disabled?
Reply to stin1974's Post: sorry, it reads disabled.
Have you looked in your owners manual to see how to reset the security system?
Reply to stin1974's Post: owners manual does not give any info about resetting, it just says to clean key or try spare key, it says to see your dealer if this does not work.
Im assuming you have tested the starter and had thebattery checked? How did this initially happen? You just went to use the vehicle and this is what it was doing?
It just started to happen when I went to use the car this morning. Don't believe it is a problem with the starting system since the dispay is reading "security system problem, start disabled". The battery is fairly new, all other electrical systems seem to be working normally.
Ok well I know there has to be a reset for that because we have had that happen many times at the garage after replacing a transmission or removing the battery. If your manual is not showing one then call a garage or someone with all data and find the procedure. You could have it done at a garage but you cant start it so........
Reply to stin1974's Post: can't you tell me how to reset the security system? Telling me to call a garage is not a aceptable answer.
Well you can try it yourself by disconnecting the battery and grounding out the positive and negative terminals together for about 30 seconds or so and seeing if that works. If not it will most likely have to be done with a scanner in which case they would have to come to you. Thats if there is no security reset listed in the manual as you said.
I will try shorting the battery terminals and get back to you.
stin1974
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician