Car

1994 Subaru Legacy: controls..turn signals..belts..clicking noise…

Customer Question
1994 Subaru Legacy - Started...
1994 Subaru Legacy - Started my car yesterday and the emergency flashers were flashing, even though they were not "turned on." They will only shut off if I pull the fuse, which also controls the turn signals and the front seat shoulder belts. My Haynes Subaru Legacy Repair Manual (1990 through 1999) says "an audible click can be heard when the... Read full answer
1994 Subaru Legacy - Started my car yesterday and the emergency flashers were flashing, even though they were not "turned on." They will only shut off if I pull the fuse, which also controls the turn signals and the front seat shoulder belts. My Haynes Subaru Legacy Repair Manual (1990 through 1999) says "an audible click can be heard when the flasher unit is working properly," and it is definitely making the clicking noise. I tried replacing the fuses for both the flashers and the turn signals, and neither helped.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
4/12/2008
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 11 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

HelloCustomerand welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your Legacy.

Is that the one with the emergency flasher swich in the steering column?

My repair manual says "on 1990 through 1994 models, the turn signal/hazard flasher unit is located behind the instrument panel, just to the left of the glove box," and the glove box has to be removed to access it.

Is there a button that you would press when you want them to come on?

Is it on the top of the steering collumn?

Sorry! This is my first time using this site and I was watching my e-mail inbox for your reply.

Yes - the button for the flashers is on top of the steering column. Thank you for your patience!!

No problem. They sometimes get sticky in there. The inside of the switch might be stuck in the on position. I would normally try a little spray cleaner or WD-40 to try and free it up. Otherwise you would have to replace the multi-function switch.

They are about $55 to get after market and it takes about one hour to change. Here is what it looks like, I might have the step by step instructions for it if you need, let me know, thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
So I should first try spraying the switch on top of the steering column with WD40? I assume I would need to remove the piece that is around the base of the switch to get to it? Based on the quote I included in my original question from the repair manual, I was thinking that the flasher unit/switch to the left of the glove box must be working properly. What do you think?
Yes. It will click when they are blinking. I would try to get the insides of the switch free before going through all the work involved, it can't hurt.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: It is already clicking when they flash. Also - I never turned them on, so am unsure how the switch on top of the steering column would get stuck in the "on" position to begin with. What do you think about the Haynes manual saying the flasher unit/switch behind the dash is working properly if the clicking noise is audible (which it is)? Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
There isn't really anywhere else for it to get power from. The switch must have shorted out. If you take it apart you might see where the problem is. Or you could disconnect the wire to it, just to get you to Colorado. You will need your signal lights.
Is there a way to disconnect only the flashers, but still have my turn signals and front-seat shoulder belts working? (Sorry to be such a pain!)

There should be 2 separate flashers. One for the 4 ways and 1 for the turn signals. If you can feel each one and take out the one that is making the 4 ways flash, you will still have the other functions. I didn't see it in my pictures but it is, according to the information that I have.

Front seating area, center, under dash, mounted on passenger side of center dash brace

Great. Thanks so much!
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Subaru legacy: Will a 2005 legacy drivers seat fit a 2000 legacy? Will
Will a 2005 legacy drivers seat fit a 2000 legacy? Will a forester seat fit a 2000 legacy? What modifications would I need to make to use a 2003 legacy seat in a 2000 legacy?… read more
Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel
Service manager/ Master mechanic,
1999 Subaru foresterl: interior and dash lights..flasher..dimmer
My son advise me tonight of a problem with our 1999 Subaru Forrester. He couldn't start the car (just the dreaded 'click' or nothing), and noticed interior and dash lights flashing to the pattern of a… read more
NicksSticks
NicksSticks
I have a 93..turn signals work..emergency flashers
I have a 93 9000CDE. The turn signals work front and back and left and right. The emergency flashers only flash once then stop. The fuse is good. Is it the relay?… read more
SHOP OWNER,
Stop searching for answers—
1990 mazda: pickup..right turn signal flashes the yellow and works
1990 mazda pickup. turn signals all work properly on the front. right turn signal flashes the yellow and works fine on the back. The left rear turn signal flashes the yellow and red lens on the left a… read more
George H.
George H.
ASE Certified Technician,
brake lights & turn signal lights went out. fuses & bulbs test
brake lights & turn signal lights went out. fuses & bulbs test good. what whould cause this? car is 94 buick roadmaster… read more
gearhead4u
gearhead4u
1999 pontiac grand am: flashing..clicking sound..assembly, in dash
1999 pontiac grand am-directioal and emergency lights assembly keeps making " clicking " sounds after use.the lights are not flashing, just the clicking sound. the assembly, in dash, above radio, has … read more
Joe
Joe
Shop supervisor,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Town Car: turn signals and emergency flashers will not work.
I have a 1999 Lincoln Signature Town Car. The turn signals and emergency flashers will not work. I checked the flasher fuse, it is intact. What can be causing the problem? How do I fix it?… read more
GriffinAuto
GriffinAuto
Auto technician,
Left front..parking light switch is activated..bulb..flasher
left front turn indicator light and separate parking light illuminate when parking light switch is activated. turn signal doesn't flash but rear turn signal does and dash indicator works properly also… read more
Paul
Paul
1992 Subaru Legacy: belt..It always rolls smoothly..slamming
How do I know if the passive restraint shoulder belt on my 1992 Subaru Legacy is working? It always rolls smoothly in and out, but doesn't catch or hold. I have tried yanking quickly and also slamming… read more
DoctorD
DoctorD
Retired Auto Shop Owner,
Intermitently..Emergency flashers..blinkers started acting up I
Blinkers were flashing intermitently. Emergency flashers were working OK. If blinkers started acting up I could turn on the emergency flashers and they seemed to work better for a while. They would do… read more
ttiger79
ttiger79
Auto Mechanic,
1991 Subaru: has automatic seat belts..Fuses seem ok.
My 1991 Subaru has automatic seat belts. They will not move. Fuses seem OK. Car will not start until the seat belts move the "closed" position. How can I fix this. Can I move the manually somehow? The… read more
MechanicMan
MechanicMan
2000 Subaru Legacy outback: with AWD..brake lights..brake pedal..bulbs
I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback 5spd. with AWD The brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is pushed. All of the bulbs appear to be good and are working okay. All fuses look good. Also -H… read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
1999 gmc yukon Denali: My rear brake lights do not light..fuses
I have a 1999 GMC Youkon Denali. My rear brake lights do not light up, but the high center light does come on. When inspecting fuses I noticed they were on the same circut as the hazzard flashers. All… read more
Tim Basham
Tim Basham
auto repair, shop foreman, tech trainer,
2002 F-150: blown fuses..brake lights, turn signals or flashers
Lost all the lights to rear of truck (2002 F-150). Replaced two blown fuses, but still do not have brake lights, turn signals or flashers. What should I check? If the lights (I know the turns signal a… read more
ttiger79
ttiger79
Auto Mechanic,
1993 subaru legacy: emergency flashers stated blinking.
1993 subaru legacy. the emergency flashers stated blinking. I did not turn them on. only shut off when fuse is pulled. the i have no turn signals… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Owner,
1994 Firebird: turn signals..Bulbs..Emergency flashers do work.
My 1994 Firebird turn signals do not flash. Bulbs are good and light when switch is on but do not flash. Emergency flashers do work. Driver side break light is dim even after bulb is replaced. - Jim i… read more
al
al
auto-electric & repair owner ,
Deville: caddy..turn signals dont work properly, fronts..bulbs
1994 caddy sedan deville,turn signals don't work properly, fronts work rear don't don't flash no green arrow on dash to show their working. front don't flash either they light rears don't come on. new… read more
Michael
Michael
Work Equip. Repair Foreman,
1999 Ford Expedition: inspection they found..signal lights
OK! I own a 1999 Ford Expedition. During inspection they found that my emergency lights were not working. Both the left and right signal lights are operating fine. Please help me.… read more
Claudiu
Claudiu
Auto Technician,