SuperDave Auto
SuperDave Auto, ASE Master Auto and Truck Tech
Experience:  25+ Years Shop Owner; Ase Master Tech
7213828

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  SuperDave Auto replied 9 years ago.

Hello 4my info,

You have it backwards !!!! The engine drives the crankshaft at the bottom. The crankshaft pulley drives the timing belt. The timing belt connects to the camshaft(s) via various tensioners, pulleys, possibly the water pump assy., to the camshaft pulleys. Some vehicles, when the timing belt breaks while driving, will cause damage to the valvetrain and/or pistons due to very tight tolerances. I hope this was what you wanted.

Good Luck. Please hit the ACCEPT button. Also, If I have been helpful, leave positive feedback. This how we are judged. Thank you. Dave

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to SuperDave Auto's Post: what I really need to know is what if the timing belt has been replaced and all the components, but the car has a trouble code p1383 meaning the timing is retarded. what is the proper way to set timing?
What kind of car, year make, model, engine size??????
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
1998 Mercury Mystique 2.0 24v dohc 4cyl
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to SuperDave Auto's Post: 1996 mercury mystique 2.0 24v dohc 4cyl.

This timing belt requires many special tools to perform that operation. The timing is compter controlled. There are no adjustments. Most likely the timing belt has jumped a tooth. Sorry.