Fuhrmeister
Fuhrmeister, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years experience as a mechanic. Everything except A/C systems.
9283220

2000 ford: 7.3l..TS industries chip..high pitched air leak

Customer Question

I was towing a pretty heavy load with my 2000 Ford 7.3l. I have a TS industries chip in it and normally run on the vallet setting even while towing. I noticed some noise like a bad bearing or someing along with a very high pitched air leak sound. The sounds only are there when the chip is on so I turned it off. I started have a very very large amount of white smoke which was worse when sitting and idling or when I would first take my foot off of the gas. I still seemed to have most of the power (best I can tell without the chip) and was able to drive the 100 miles home but the truck is smoking so bad that I can not drive it without fixing this. The smoke smells a bit like burnt oil but it is white. I do not seem to be low on oil so I am lost. Please help.
Customer
Category: Car
Expert:  Fuhrmeister replied 9 years ago.

It sounds as if you may have blown a head gasket. Have you checked your engine coolant? That may be where all the white smoke is coming from. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Fuhrmeister

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Fuhrmeister's Post: I do not seem to have lost coolant or oil. I have read that the glow plugs or glow plug controller can cause white smoke. Is that possible. Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town and just returned.
That is definitely a possibility.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Fuhrmeister's Post: Any pointers on how I can tell what it is or what it isnt for sure?

Are you sure its white smoke or is it bluish white?

Thanks,

Fuhrmeister

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Fuhrmeister's Post: IT IS BLUISH WHITE