Hog Rider
Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience:  Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
3959815

WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY ON A 1996 MERCURY COUGAR XR7

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 9 years ago.
Customer I Hope this help`s ,

Description
The electrical system provides power to the fuel pump through two relays: fuel pump and powertrain control module relays, which provide power to the fuel pump through a normally closed Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch (IFS ). The power relays are located in the powertrain control relay module, which is serviced as a unit.

Operation
Current path depends on operating conditions:

• Contacts of both relays are open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
  • The powertrain control module power relay is energized, closing its contacts, when the ignition switch is first turned to the ON position.
  • Power is provided to the fuel pump relay and to a timing device in the powertrain control module.
  • The fuel pump runs through the contacts of the fuel pump relay.
  • If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the timing device in the powertrain control module will open the ground Circuit 57 (after approximately one second).
  • Opening the ground circuit de-energizes the fuel pump relay (opening its contacts) which, in turn, deenergizes the fuel pump. This circuitry provides for prepressurization of the fuel system.
  • The powertrain control module operates the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned to START position to provide fuel while cranking.
  • After the engine starts and the ignition switch is returned to the ON position, power to the fuel pump is again supplied through the fuel pump relay.
  • The powertrain control module senses engine speed and shuts off the fuel pump by opening the ground circuit to the fuel pump relay when the engine stops or is below 120 rpm.

• OVERVIEW
    The Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) interfaces with the Electronic EC system to provide control for the cooling fan and A/C clutch. The CCRM may also contain the Fuel Pump Relay for fuel pump control and the Electronic EC Power Relay which provides Vehicle Power (VPWR) to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Electronic EC system. Two separate High Speed Fan Control relays may be used because of the high current required for the high speed fans. If any of the internal components of the CCRM fail, the entire unit must be replaced. The descriptions of the specific CCRM functions, as well as the Dual Function A/C Pressure Switch, the Fuel Pump Monitor and the Fan Monitor circuits, are found under the individual hardware - PCM inputs and outputs in this section. For more information on specific CCRM content, refer to the vehicle specific Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM).

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
SO IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT DO I NEED TO REPLACE? AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 9 years ago.

Normally it`s the fuel pump that`s at fault not the P.C.M. I would do some more . diognostics pryor to replacing the P.C.M. Try checking your fuel shut off switch,

Open luggage compartment door. it should be located on the left side ,Trip the reset switch and test for power once again according to the directions above,

The powertrain control module operates the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned to START position to provide fuel while cranking.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE RESET, STILL NO POWER TO PUMP, ONLY POWER I CAN FIND IS AT THE FUSE BLOCK INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, THE CAR WAS DRIVEN ALL DAY THEN SHUT OFF FOR 2 HOURS AND NOW WONT START, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 9 years ago.
as long as your sure their is NO Power at the pump Replace the Power control Module
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK WHERE WILL I FIND IT?
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 9 years ago.

PURPOSE
The Electronic Engine Control (EEC) system provides optimum control of the engine and transmission through the enhanced capability of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The EEC system also has an on-board diagnostics monitoring system [On Board Diagnostics II (OBD II) ] with features and functions to meet federal regulations on exhaust emissions.

COMPONENTS
The EEC system has two major divisions: hardware and software. The hardware includes the PCM, Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) or Variable Load Control Module (VLCM) , sensors, switches, actuators, solenoids, and interconnecting terminals. The software in the PCM provides the strategy control for outputs (engine hardware) based on the values of the inputs to the PCM.

OPERATION
The PCM receives information from a variety of sensor and switch inputs. Based on the strategy and calibration stored within the memory chip, the PCM generates the appropriate output. The system is designed to minimize emissions and optimize fuel economy and driveability. The software strategy controls the basic operation of the engine and transmission, provides the OBD II strategy, controls the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) , communicates to the scan tool [New Generation STAR (NGS) , etc.] via the Data Link Connector (DLC) , allows for Flash Electrically Erasable/Programmable Read Only Memory (FEEPROM) , provides idle air and fuel trim, and controls Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) .

graphic