Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions
1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Remove the accessory drive belt shield.
3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
4. Remove water pump pulley bolts. See Fig. 77.
5. Rotate pulley until openings in pulley align with water pump drive hub spokes. See Fig. 81. Move pulley inward between pump housing and hub. See Fig. 81. Fig. 81: Water Pump Pulley Positioning Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.
6. Position pulley to allow access to water pump mounting bolts. Remove water pump mounting bolts. See Fig. 82.
7. Remove water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between hub and the pump body.
8. Remove and discard the seal.
9. Clean seal groove and sealing surfaces on pump and timing chain case cover. Take care not to scratch or gouge sealing surfaces. NOTE: To remove the water pump pulley, it MUST first be positioned between water pump housing and drive hub. The pulley can then be removed with the water pump assembly. 1 - HUB - WATER PUMP 2 - PULLEY - WATER PUMP