Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

PT Cruiser: Turbo..with over 100,000 miles on it..bogging down

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Turbo...
I have a 2004 Turbo PT Cruiser with over 100,000 miles on it. It has been great up until now. I see that they have problems with bogging down.....well that is mine! If I gradually accelerate I''m good if I try to step on the gas to get on the freeway it bogs down so bad & starts spitting & sputtering so bad I have to pull over. I have changed the plugs & wires. The code reader comes up ignition coil. I have changed that also still the same reading. If idling in park & I step on the gas & get up to 4 RPM it does the same thing, starts bogging down & choking out. Could a fuel filter or EGR valve cause this? I need your help PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2008
Auto Mechanic: OnlineHelp, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Well here is the thing, the egr valve would not cause that type of problem. The fuel filter yes, especially with the type of gas that we are getting now a day at the pump. I would replace the fuel filter as a regular maintenence. However, what it sounds like to me is that you have a vauccum leak somewhere in the system. Turbo cars that run on high pressure often develop leaks, if there is a leak the mass air flow sensor would not register it and you would have exactly the problems that you are describing. You should have it check for air leaks.
Who do I go to to check for those kind of leaks?
Any type of shop will be able to do that. What they do is put pressure on the system with the car off and listen for leaks. They sometimes will spay it with soapy water and look for bubbles. Common problem in turbo charged cars and with the sympthoms that you are having it sounds like that is it. Tires plus or Americas even midas will be able to do that for ya. It should not be more than $50-$60 for a check of leaks.
I appreciate your help but you did not give me any different answers then I have already gotten and I DID NOT CLICK THE ACCEPT BUTTON AND YOU TOOK MY MONEY ANYWAY!!!!!!!! I expect to see it credited back to my account or I will being turning you in to paypal and everyone else you deal with. NOT TO TRUSTWORTHY!!!!!

Well i sure wish you would have told me that someone already to you about boost leaks and where you can get a leak check. Seemed like you had not heared of it before.Did you have it check for boost leaks?

I did not know that it was pressure checked until I checked back with the second place that I had it tested & he told me he pressure checked it. That still does not give you the right to take my money! When can I expect it back in my account?
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello Doolittle and welcome to just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your PT Cruiser. Let's see if we can get this concern solved.

Do you know what the fuel pressure is when the engine is bogging down?

Is there a good flow out the exhaust?

Is the fuel pressure the RPM? As far as I know there is good flow out the exhaust, you can feel it coming out when you walk behind it if thats what you mean.

There actually is a backpressure test that can be done on the exhaust system. Most exhaust specialty shops will have the tester for it, but you might want to see how it revs with the 02 sensors, (closest to the engine) removed and if it gets a lot more power, there is a blockage in the exhaust sysem, most likely the caylitic converter.

If at all possible, see what the fuel pressure is while the engine is bogging down. There may be a loss of fuel pressure, (or flow)

I would like to know when my money is going to be credited back to me!!!! I have clicked on the accept button & so as far as I am concerned you have stolen my money. I have given you long enough to put it back in my account. You took it overnite without getting an acceptance so it needs to put back in or like I said I will put a complaint in with paypal.
I am sorry. I did report this case to the proper channels for your refund. I wish we could have helped you save some money in the long run. You might want to take it to the dealer, I am sure they will be able to find the problem. Thank you for your patience.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: I will wait until tomorrow morning to have the credit show since you have had 5 days to get it to me & it took you 1 day to debit my account even though I DID NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING! I appreciate your help but I do not like a dishonest business & there is a button to click on for the Better Business Bureau which I will do if I do not get my money back!
You will get it I' m sure. Along with all of the free answers that you have already.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: That's fine but it better be by tomorrow morning! And I will tell you this I would be more then happy to pay for my help but not when my money is taken before I am done talking to you!!!! I was still talking to the mechanic when you took the money and all the responses show that I DID NOT ACCEPT!!! I went on good faith that you were trustworthy.
I am not sure how all of that works. I do know that it was not accepted and that I didn't get any of it. I always thought that the money stayed in your account until you accept the answer. Maybe I am being spoofed too???
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: I guess you are because the money was taken from my account the same day the question was asked on the 12th. My account has not been credited so I am going to contact the better business bureau today unless I get something from someone in the next hour or so guaranteeing my money back and maybe you ought to ask them where your money is!!!!!
Auto Mechanic: Davo, Master technician replied 9 years ago
Davo
Davo, Master technician
When you place a deposit your credit card is billed.If you accept an answer the deposit will be taken from your account on Just Answer.If you choose to not accept the answer to this question the money stays in the Just Answer account.You will be getting your money back soon.A refund request has been made.Please be patient.
Davo
Davo
Davo, Master technician