Car

I have a M22 Muncie 26 T and I have just installed a frest ...

Customer Question
I have a M22 Muncie...
I have a M22 Muncie 26 T and I have just installed a frest engine in my 67 Chevy C10 pickup. While towing it back from Kentucky to Florida, I towed the truck wioth a tow dolly and did not remove the drive shaft. IAfter several hundred miles I noticed a loud rattling noise from the drive train. I immdiately removed the drive shaft (too late it... Read full answer
I have a M22 Muncie 26 T and I have just installed a frest engine in my 67 Chevy C10 pickup. While towing it back from Kentucky to Florida, I towed the truck wioth a tow dolly and did not remove the drive shaft. IAfter several hundred miles I noticed a loud rattling noise from the drive train. I immdiately removed the drive shaft (too late it seems) and continued to florida. The transmission appeared to be shifting properly, but the transmission remains in reverse even thought it appeared to be shifting. I have not removed the tranny from the truck yet. Do you have any thoughts on this before I go further...? Thanks, Lee
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
3/8/2008
Auto Mechanic: GENE, Auto Service Technician replied 11 years ago
GENE
GENE, Auto Service Technician
raising the truck up on the dolly probably has starved the bearings in the front of the transmission and welded the bearings to the main shaft-soory but this one is most likely burnt up
We are in the process of removing the tranny now.

I sure hope you're wrong Gene, but you answer sure sounds like it might be right on. If it were not for stupid mistakes, life would be much more enjoyable. Hang loose and I will be back to you in an hour or so. Thanks again Gene,    Lee.
ok let me know-ive seen this happen before so im afraid i might be right-take the side cover off and you should see the problem
Gene, If the front shaft bearings are welded to the shaft, would I still have reverse..? I can move the vehicle in reverse, but the tranny will not go out of that gear.

Lee
its the reverse bearings im thinking the reverse gear is welded to the reverse shaft

this might help a little

The transmission housing contains a mainshaft which passes all the way through the transmission, from the clutch to the driveshaft. This shaft is separated at one point, so that front and rear portions can turn at different speeds. Power is transmitted by a countershaft in the lower gears and in reverse. The gears of the countershaft mesh with gears on the mainshaft, allowing power to be carried from one to the other and then back again to the rear half of the mainshaft. All the countershaft gears are integral with that shaft, while several of the mainshaft gears can either rotate independently of the shaft or be locked to it. Shifting from one gear to the next causes one of the gears to be freed from rotating with the shaft, and locks another to it. Gears are locked and unlocked by internal dog clutches which slide between the center of the gear and the shaft. The forward gears usually employ synchronizers: friction members which smoothly bring gear and shaft to the same speed before the toothed dog clutches are engaged

1. Remove the control rods from the transmission levers, and position the levers in NEUTRAL.

2. Move the floor shift lever into NEUTRAL and insert a locating gauge into the bracket assembly (use a 5/16 in. rod on 1964 cars. For 1965-74 4-speeds use the same gauge as the 3-speed floor shift).

3. Adjust the length of the control rods and then secure the swivels with the jam nuts and install the clevis pins.

4. Remove the locating gauge and check the shift pattern.

1965 and later Muncie transmission levers have two control rod holes. Attaching the control rods in the lower holes will result in reduced shift lever travel and allow faster shifting, with increased shifting effort as a minor drawback.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Saginaw 4-speed linkage adjustment

4-SPEED 1969-81

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, except on 1970 models which should be turned to LOCK.

2. Loosen the swivel lock nuts on the shift rods and reverse control rod. Position the transmission side cover levers to their NEUTRAL detent position.

3. Place the floor shift in NEUTRAL and insert a locating gauge (same gauge as 3-speed floor shift) into the lever bracket assembly.

4. Adjust all control rods swivels for easy entry into their respective levers.

5. Tighten the shift rod locknuts and remove the gauge.

6. Shift the lever into REVERSE and pull down slightly on the reverse rod to remove the slack. Tighten the locknut.

7. The ignition switch should move easily into LOCK and it must not be possible to turn the key to LOCK when in any other position other than REVERSE. Readjust the reverse rod, if necessary.

8. Check the shift pattern for correctness.

Gene..., you have been a great help and I will recommend your site to anyone who needs automotive assistance. But.., let me give you another quick help solution that is out of the ordinary.., After we removed the tranny and looked for the problem, my son Jason saw the problem as we were removing the tail shaft housing. The roll pin that holds the reverse shifter fork was missing and the fork has backed itself out of the groove. After replacing the roll pin, the problem was solved. Just goes to show.., the obvious is sometimes the easiest thing to overlook.

But I do appreciate all of your professional advice and support.

Thanks again,   Lee Hopper
hey that great-im glad i was wrong-sometimes its a good thing huh-see ya now and good luck with it
GENE
GENE, Auto Service Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
We have a 2005 Lexus ES330 and an Acme tow dolly without the
We have a 2005 Lexus ES330 and an Acme tow dolly without the wheel plates. Is it safe to tow this car on this dolly? If so, how? The steering wheel seems to remain locked even with the battery disconn… read more
Chris
Chris
General towing question. I need to bring home a 97 Ford F150
General towing question. I need to bring home a 97 Ford F150 4WD pickup with a tow dolly. I need to haul it about 200 miles. Do I need to disconnect the drive shaft ?… read more
Automotive Tech,
2005 suzuki auto tran, 4wd vitara xl7. I know it can be
2005 suzuki auto tran, 4wd vitara xl7 . I know it can be towed 4 on ground with a special bracket and tow bar from my RV, I do not have time to buy and install one, before I need to leave, but I have … read more
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Sr. Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
My son who was recently given a 1999 Lincoln Navigator. He
My son who was recently given a 1999 Lincoln Navigator. He has asked me to transport it the 700 miles to his house in NC from where it is in NY. It has a 5.4 dohc Intech Motor with a blown spark plug.… read more
Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee
Automotive Diagnostic Repair Technician,
Suzuki Sidekick: 4dr..automatic..I wish to tow on a dolly..motor home
I have a 1998 4dr Suzuki Sidekick automatic that I wish to tow on a dolly behind a motorhome. What are your recommendations?… read more
kalamykid
kalamykid
Pactor automotive,
Towing..drive train..it is possible, four wheels on the ground is
I am planning on towing my 04 Land Rover Discovery about 3000 miles. First off, is this possible without damaging the drive train? If it is possible, four wheels on the ground is better? or using a do… read more
Edward
Edward
Professional at Justanswer.com,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Tracker: tow..2wd..manual transmission behing a motor home
can i flat tow a geo tracker 2wd manual transmission behing a motor home without doing any damage to the transmission.… read more
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
LEAD AUTO TECH,
2002 cadillac escalade: towed..we are wanting to tow it behind our RV
I want to know if my 2002 cadillac escalde can be towed with a tow bar in any way, we are wanting to tow it behind our RV… read more
Master Automotive Technician,
2 YEARS COLLEGE
I have a Saturn Vue that I tow all wheels down with ing.
I have a Saturn Vue that I tow all wheels down with ing. on acc. and in neutral. Sometime its three hrs before we stop and when we do the battery is down. I have disconnected the ground wire on the ba… read more
Joel
Joel
GM Journeyman technician,
Subaru: towed..it was in park,and it is AWD.What..shift fine
I towed my subaru on a car dolly while it was in park,and it is AWD.What could happen? It seems to drive and shift fine.It was towed 120 miles. The fuse thing to fwd wasn''t done.Should I worry?… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
With the engine running at idle speed..keep my foot..rear axle
Hi Pat,there are few tests you can make to help you determine where the problem is. With the engine running at idle speed,if you can shift the transmission into gear with no grinding, i would believe … read more
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry
Auto Expert on Just Answer,
BMW 325: Im traveling..my Jeep with a tow dolly..drive shaft
I'm traveling from Florida to Indiana over the Christmas holidays and plan on towing my 87' BMW 325 behind my Jeep with a tow dolly. Uhaul tells me I must first remove the drive shaft. I have the manu… read more
motor_Joe
motor_Joe
Stop searching for answers—
2004 Jeep Liberty: Auto Trans to tow behind our motor home..awhile
We just purchased a 2004 Jeep Liberty, Auto Trans to tow behind our motorhome. I do not have it rigged with a tow bar yet, but will have soon. Have had short trip planned for this week & reservations … read more
32dmadden
32dmadden
Owner Emergancy Auto Service,
Jeep: dolly..i put it in drive and accelerate the gas..reverse..trany
jeep was in perfect condition....towed from florida to jersey on a dolly.....got home and car doesnt move when i put it in drive and accelerate the gas, however reverse works....i also realized that t… read more
Paul
Paul
Nissan pickup: 2wd..I should use a tow dolly or trailer..drive shaft
I am moving and am trying to get information on towing my 94 2wd Nissan pickup. I am trying to decide what I should use a tow dolly or trailer. I guess the question is do I really need to detach the d… read more
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
Automotive Repair/Damage Investigator,
2004 Toyota Tundra Limited: tow..jeep wrangler..a manual transmission
Looking to tow a 2004 jeep wrangler with a manual transmission with a 2004 Toyota Tundra Limited. Going approximately 500 miles. What do I need? The owner's manual says I can tow it with a tow bar, bu… read more
Automotive Fleet Management,
pontiac vibe: i disconnect driveshft..AWD..to tow with tow dolly
how do i disconnect driveshft on AWD pontiac vibe? I need to do this to tow with tow dolly?… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
Ford Bronco: u-haul but I need to tow my full size..tires..trip..hills
I am traveling 600 miles in a u-haul but I need to tow my full size 90' Ford Bronco, which has slightly bigger tires than stock. The trip is pretty much a straight shot with a few hills, any advice on… read more
Michael
Michael
Work Equip. Repair Foreman,