westrope65
westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
8635606

rl: that looses heat..stat +radiator checked heater core

Customer Question

i have a 2000acura rl that looses heat after driving i have replaced    t-stat +radiator checked heater core
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 years ago.
Sounds like a blown head gasket. Be sure there are no air pockets in the cooling system. Be sure the cooling fans come on (if electric). And obviously the coolant is full. After the basics are covered than we can suspect other things. Take off the oil cap and look on the inside of it. If the oil looks like a vanilla shake than theres your problem. The head gasket has blown and there is coolant in the oil. The head gasket will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: no symptoms of head gasket or air pockets. have covered all basics,car doesn't over heat and no loss of coolant.runs great just no heat.any other suggestios.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 years ago.
When this happens, try and feel the two heater hoses that go into the heater core.

If one of them is colder than the other, then you most likely have a big air pocket that needs to be removed from the system.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
problem was there before i opened up the system. replaced t-stat had great heat then went away again.have covered all the basics.looking for something out of the norm.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 years ago.
Well if you have a small leak, it will cause a small air pocket in the system. This would be before you opened up the cooling system.

Are any of the heater hoses going into the heater core hot when this happens?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: i own a repair shop and only work on honda and acura. i covered all the basics. have you heard of something out of the norm with this system?
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 years ago.
NO I have not
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 years ago.
Have you checked Iatn.net? That would be a good place to go to get info on this problem.

I can opt out and leave this question open for other experts.

That is about all I can say without knowing if the problem is within the cooling system or something electronically with the blend door, or heater control valve. I will be able to tell you where to look if you direct me in the right direction. I just have to know if both of the heater hoses are hot going into the heater core when this happens.
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: thanks. if you hear of anything please pass it along.
Expert:  westrope65 replied 9 years ago.
I will add this then opt out. AMEDEE has done most of the real work here if this is right you should probably pay him. But your new thermostat coudl be bad. I have had this happen twice and it threw me hard for awhile. Once it was bad right away and caught that one pretty easy. Second time which was first. It went bad fast and threw me. Now adays we dont test them by boiling them like used to many years ago. maybe with all the aftermarket places in china might have to start agaiin.
westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE
Expert:  automstr replied 9 years ago.

im going to add my opionion here too this is a classic symptom of a blown headgasket on this engine i have seen it many times and i have fixed 2 this week so far the only other thing i have seen is once i had a cracked head on an rl eather way tear it down and inspect the gaskets around the rear cyls.

acuramstr

I thank you for the accept but was my answer correct? I think i kinda did the least work here. So please let me know.