j_ramsey
j_ramsey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED ENGINE REPAIR AUTO TRANS. SUSPENSION A/C
6751554

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer: recently bought..trouble starting..stall

I recently bought a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with an after-market electric fuel pump that runs even when the engine isn't running. I started to have trouble starting it, and progressively (over the course of a few weeks) it has been getting worse. The starter sounds good, as does the engine, but now it will stall while driving if the gas isn't being pushed, and will not start again unless it has sat for a couple hours. (it won't start period unless it has been sitting for a couple of hours.) What could the problem be?
Category: Car
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 9 years ago.
The common thing to cause some of the symptoms that you have is the crankshaft sensor in the driver side of the bell housing of the transmission.Check to see if you have lost spark when it is not starting.