Robert
Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.
3862310

1995 nissan maxima: the emergency brake light..stop light..car ran

Customer Question

My 1995 nissan maxima. While driving the battery light came on the the emergency brake light came on. then once I came to a stop light the car ran at a very low idle almost to a stop. The battery was dean and one I put another battery in the started up and ran very good the the battery, emergency brake still stay on. Would this be a alternator problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

It most definitely sounds like an alternator that is not charging. A new or fully charged battery will allow you to operate the vehicle but not for a long amount of time. I would have your alternator tested. If you have a voltmeter you can check voltage output, with the vehicle running at 1500 rpm's you see about 14+ volts off the back of the alternator. Most Auto Parts stores like Auto Zone will check your alternator out at no charge.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!