Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
7680243

A whining noise when it is very cold outside but then warms up and is

Why does my car make a whining noise when it is very cold outside but then warms up and is fine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Derrick replied 9 years ago.

Is this a squeak noise, or a moaning noise perhaps?

Does it change with steering?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
More of a moaning sound goes speeds up when car speeds up....sometime upon steering. Weather has been in teens and single digits and it just start a couple of days ago.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THe sound is a moaning sound and goes up as speed increases, sometimes upon steering. Weather has been in teens and single digits and just started a couple of day s ago.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I didnt get an answer..does Derrick have and answer for me?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Derrick's Post: It is a moaning noise. Speeds up when car speeds up and slows down etc. Sometimes steering can seem to affect the noise but seems centered around the speed.
Expert:  Derrick replied 9 years ago.

Ok, it sounds like you have a power steering noise.

First, I recommend checking your power steering fluid, if it is low, it can howl.

Also, if it is low it may be leaking. I recommend checking for leaks, the power steering rack is common to leak on these vehicles.

If your fluid level is ok, I would recommend performing a power steering flush. This will require a flush machine, so you will probably need to take it to a service department.

If after the flush, you still have that noise, you most likely have a power steering rack going bad. It will need to be replaced. This is a pretty expensive job, so I would have another techinician look at it before performing any repairs.

I hope this helps!