MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
5229702

2001 Cadillac Catera: abs..speedometer..the power steering is restored

I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera. The abs and trac dash lights stay on and the speedometer does not work and the powersteering does not work. Occassionally the lights will go off the speedometer will start working again and the power steering is restored as well. Therefore it appear all the problems are related.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

I am assuming you have the "Variable" power steering system, otherwise, these types of symptoms would not happen with the power steering.

Of course, the proper way to debug this type of problem is to connect the car to a scan tool that can read the parameters (signals) from the ABS system. ALL of these symptoms are coming from this system (ABS & Traction control). Here is a basic diagram showing how the Electronic Brake Controller sends a "speed signal" to the speedometer and the power steering system.

graphic

What YOU can do, is inspect the wiring around EACH of the wheels and look for any loose connections (connectors & wires) around the wheel speed sensor connectors. Here are some drawings of the front and rear wheel speed sensors.

Front (item 3 is the sensor)

graphic

Rear (item 1 again. Item 3 is the differential housing)

graphic
If you don't find anything obvious, you will most likely have to have it diagnosed with a scan tool that will tell you which sensor (or sensors) is failing. Otherwise, you would just be guessing and throwing parts and money at the problem.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.