Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis: rear window..I remove to panel..back seat

Customer Question
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis rear...
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis rear window wont go all the way up. How do I remove to panel to put the window up? Never use back seat. Dont care if cant useit.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
1/1/2008
Auto Mechanic: TheMasterTechSource, Senior Automotive Consultant replied 10 years ago
TheMasterTechSource
TheMasterTechSource, Senior Automotive Consultant

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1989-98 Vehicles

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. On 1990-91 vehicles, remove the speaker grille.

3. Remove the retaining screws from the door inside handle cup.

4. If equipped with armrest courtesy lamps, remove the lens, detach the bulb and wiring assembly from the pull cup and remove the pull cup.

5. Working through the pull cup opening, disconnect the remote lock rod from the lock knob.

6. Remove the retaining screw and the remote mirror bezel nut from the power window regulator housing switch plate, if equipped.

7. Raise the plate to expose the window switch and power door lock switch and disconnect the switches.

8. Remove the retaining screws from the armrest finish panel.

9. Remove the retaining screws from the armrest and remove the armrest.

10. Using a suitable trim pad removal tool, carefully pry the trim panel plastic push pin retainers from the door inner panel.

Do not use the trim panel to pry the clips from the door inner panel. Replace any bent, damaged or missing push pins.

1. Disconnect the radio speaker wiring, if equipped.

2. Remove the trim panel and watershield.

To install:

1. If the door panel is to be replaced, transfer the plastic push pins to the new panel. Make sure that the watershield is positioned correctly to the door sheet metal. Remove the door pull handle from the old panel and transfer to the new one.

2. Position the door panel loosely to the door belt opening and route the wiring harness through the appropriate access holes in the panel.

3. Connect the radio speaker, if equipped.

4. Align the plastic push pins on the door panel to the holes in the door sheet metal and press the pins into place.

5. Install the armrest and route the window regulator, remote mirror cable and power lock harness through the access hole.

6. Install the armrest finish panel.

7. Install the power window regulator switch plate housing to the armrest connecting the power window switch, power door lock switch and remote mirror bezel nut, if equipped, prior to securing the retainer screw.

8. Connect the lock remote rod to the lock knob retainer boss.

Make sure that the remote rod is fully seated into the retainer boss, then function manually or with the power switch to ensure smooth operation of the lock knob.

1. Install the bulb and wiring assembly.

2. Install the lamp lens, if equipped, and the pull cup.

3. On 1990-91 vehicles, install the speaker grille.

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Front door panel-1990-91 vehicles

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Rear door panel-1989-91 vehicles

1992-98 Vehicles

2. If removing the driver's door panel, remove the nut from the outside rearview mirror control switch.

3. Remove the window regulator switch housing by gently prying up, starting at the front.

See Figures 3, 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Front door panel-1992-98 vehicles

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Rear door panel-1992-98 vehicles

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the window regulator switch housing by gently prying up, starting at the front

1. Detach all connectors from the switch housing.

2. Remove the door inside handle cup.

3. Remove the push pin from the door trim panel upper front extension and remove the screw.

4. Remove the lower self-tapping screw retaining the door trim panel to the door inner panel.

See Figures 6, 7 and 8

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Detach the switch housing electrical connector and remove the housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Remove the door inside handle cup

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Remove the screws from the door panel in the front and on the upper extension

1. On Grand Marquis, pry up the screw covers from the door pull handle and remove the screws and handle.

2. Lift the door panel upward and snap out the panel.

See Figures 9 and 10

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: There are also retaining screws located in the map pocket as well as ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: ... along the bottom edge of the door panel

1. Disconnect the necessary wire harnesses and remove the panel.

To install:

1. Connect the wire harnesses to the door panel, as necessary.

2. Install the door panel by pushing in and down until it snaps into place.

3. Install all self-tapping screws retaining the door trim panel to the door inner panel.

4. On Grand Marquis, install the door pull handle, tighten the screws and install the screw covers.

5. Install the push pin covering screw on the panel upper front extension.

6. Install the inside door handle cup.

7. Install the window regulator switch housing and install the nut on the outside rearview mirror control switch, if removed.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

See Figures 11, 12, 13 and 14

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Lift the door panel upward and snap out the panel to remove it from the door

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Rotate the door marker lamp bulb and remove it from the door panel

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Detach the connectors for the trunklid and fuel door release switches

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Slide the relay connector off of the door panel and remove the door panel from the vehicle

Please--If my Answer has helped in any way shape or form then, please click the green ACCEPT button, This is the only way I am paid for assisting you. A Bonus payment is always greatly appreciated also and a fine token of your appreciation as well... -- -Please leave positive feedback-- Now--so I may return the gesture and leave YOU Positive FEEDBACK in return!

TheMasterTechSource
TheMasterTechSource
TheMasterTechSource