Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2002 buick regal: gran touring suspension..left front..steering

Customer Question
I have a 2002 buick...
I have a 2002 buick regal with gran touring suspension and have had a rapid clunking noise in the left front part of car. It sounds like it is in the steering system to me. I have had different shops try to find the problem with no success. Any ideas?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2007
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Auto Service Technician
Have you checked the steering intermediate shaft being worn? GM has several problems with these being faulty.
Reply to Dan's Post: The problem has been in the car since approx 25000 miles. Would wear occur this fast?
ject:Clunk Felt/Noise Heard from Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate or Replace Intermediate Shaft as Directed) #01-02-32-001L - (08/29/2007)

Models:2001-2004 Buick Regal
2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala
2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised to provide information for identifying '06-'08 Impala I-shafts that have been produced using the new production process. Regal, Impala, Monte Carlo, Intrigue and Grand Prix vehicles ONLY -- continue to grease the I-shaft. For Allure and LaCrosse, continue to replace the intermediate shaft as necessary.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001K (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360° of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel or when applying/releasing the brakes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a "slip stick" condition resulting in the clunk noise or feel through the steering wheel.

Diagnostic Tip

Important: This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.

Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:

1. Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle.
  2. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn.
  3. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface.
  4. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft -- not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.
  5. Drive the vehicle straight ahead at idle speed while applying and releasing the brake pedal. Listen/feel the steering wheel for the clunk-/noise condition.

Correction

2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala

DO THIS

DON'T DO THIS

Replace the intermediate shaft.

DO NOT lube the intermediate shaft.

Replace the existing intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information.

Important: 2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala ONLY -- intermediate shafts with a Julian date of 200 or higher, were produced using the new process. (Refer to diagram below showing where to locate the 5-digit Julian date on the label). Only use I-shafts with Julian dates of 200 or higher.

2006-2008 Impala: Julian Date Identification

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=

2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala

2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

2001-2004 Buick Regal

1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

DO THIS

DON'T DO THIS

If the vehicle is equipped with the new design I-shaft -- grease the intermediate shaft.

If the vehicle is equipped with the previous (old) design -- exercise/stroke the shaft to redistribute the existing grease.

DO NOT replace the intermediate shaft.

Vehicles Equipped with the Old-Designed (greased) I-Shafts

For vehicles equipped with the old designed I-shafts which are already greased, remove the I-shaft from the vehicle. Exercise/stroke the intermediate shaft to redistribute the existing grease on the shaft.

Vehicles Equipped with the New Designed (non-greased) I-Shafts

If the vehicle is equipped with a non-greased intermediate shaft, remove the intermediate steering shaft from the vehicle. Lubricate the shaft using the steering column shaft lubrication kit, P/N 26098237, using the following procedure:

1. Remove the steering intermediate shaft from the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.
    Object Number: 811347  Size: SH
  2. Fully extend the intermediate shaft to its maximum length by pulling on each end of the shaft.
    Object Number: 811349  Size: SH
  3. Apply the grease supplied in the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit in the aluminum end of the yoke opening. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the yoke and dispense the full content of the syringe.
    Object Number: 811351  Size: SH
  4. Install the rubber stop plug from the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication kit into the yoke opening.
    Object Number: 811354  Size: SH
  5. Secure the rubber plug by swinging the upper yoke 90 degrees. One ear of the yoke should press the rubber plug in.
    Object Number: 811359  Size: SH

Important: Make sure the intermediate shaft is being pressed over the ears of the solid shaft.

6. Use a hard surface to ease the collapse of the intermediate shaft. It is best to use a pumping action when collapsing the shaft. Collapse the shaft as far as possible.
  7. Remove the rubber stopper plug from the yoke end of the shaft.
    Object Number: 812854  Size: SH
  8. Slowly extend the intermediate shaft apart.
    Object Number: 811368  Size: SH
  9. Inspect the intermediate shaft for a minimum of 5 mm (0.2 in) (a) of grease on the shaft splines.
  10. Repeat Steps 4-9 if less than 5 mm (0.2 in) of grease is on the shaft splines.

Important: Before installing the intermediate shaft in the vehicle, make sure to stroke and extend the intermediate shaft at least 15 TIMES to completely lubricate the internal surface of the slip joint.

11. Reinstall the intermediate shaft into the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

15925776

Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling

('06-'08 Impala)

25828562

Shaft Asm - Steering Gear

(06-07 Allure/LaCrosse built after January 1, 2006)

25829292

Shaft Asm - Steering Gear

(05-06 Allure/LaCrosse built prior to January 1, 2006)

26098237

Steering Column Shaft Lube Kit (for the remaining vehicles in the bulletin)

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E7700

Shaft, Steering Intermediate - R&R

Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add:

Lubricate Steering Shaft

0.1 hr

Dan, Auto Service Technician
Dan, Auto Service Technician