Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

1999 ford windstar: keeps blowing..fuses..i replaced the cluster

Customer Question

my 1999 ford windstar cluster keeps blowing the same fuses even after i replaced the cluster
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Hi There!

Which fuses on the cluster keep blowing?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
#9 and 16
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Hi Again,

What size engine 3.8?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i'm sorry but i dont know the van is in the shop so i cant look however it is a v6 LX model
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Ok

Was it the instrument cluster #9 fuse that was blowing?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i'M NOT SURE LIKE I SAID THE CAR IS NOT HERE ALL CAN TELL YOU IS THAT THOSE ARE THE TWO FUSES THAT KEEP BLOWING I BELIEVE #16 IS ASSOCIATED W/THE ENGINE AND #9 THE CLUSTER HOWEVER WHEN THE CLUSTER IS REMOVED THE FUSES DONT BLOW I HAD THE CLUSTER REPLACED TWICE IT WILL WORK FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS THEN BLOW FUSES AGAIN AS SOON AS I TRY TO START THE VEHICLE
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Hi There.

I am going to have another expert answer your question. I do not have the fuse print for your vehicle. I would think you have a short, maybe in the wire harness. I hope another expert can help you out!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
SO WILL THE OTHER EXPERT GOING TO CONTACT ME OR DO I HAVE TO PAY AGAIN ? HOW DOES THAT WORK?
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

No you do NOT have to pay again someone will see I "opt out" and will answer your question.

Thank You!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THANK YOU
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
SO DO I JUST WAIT HERE AND HOPE SOMEONE ANSWERS?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
?
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.
I do not know when somebody will respond. It may take some time.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK! THANKS AGAIN.
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Hi Jennifer Ford, Gm Plus referred this question to me. I am looking at the diagram, the fuse # XXXXX is hot in key on and run,#16 is hot at all times. They both go to the instrument cluster. A short that doesn't blow for months at a time is most likely caused by a wire shorting out to bare metal.Since you replaced 2 clusters already it doesn't seem that that would be the problem. Fuse #9 is the one that gets powered when you try to start the engine,the wire harness will have to be closely examined and possibly opened to look for any bare wire. I an sending a copy of the wiring diagram you,Jerry.

graphic