Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do i replace headlight bulbs on a cadillac cts 2008?

Customer Question
how do i replace headlight...
how do i replace headlight bulbs on a cadillac cts 2008?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
12/1/2007
Auto Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 10 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
You will be required to remove the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs on your CTS. I am wondering how many miles you have on this as you may be under a factory warranty. If you post your vin# ***** can tell you. If you would like I can give you the info to replace the headlight bulbs. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
thanks..my vin# ***** ***** have under3,000.please make sure info is on a 2008 not 2007 or earlier.
Your are under the factory warranty so you can have this servoce done free of charge by your local cadillac dealer. If you are still interested I can get you the info to access the bulbs.
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
i am interested in getting the info on accessing the bulbs. I will accept answer and click accept button. Thank You so much!
can you please send me info on how to do it?

I am going to have to send it in sections. The first will be how to remove the bumper cover and so on. Here it is. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Front Bumper Fascia Replacement

Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Remove the front wheelhouse liner.
  2. Remove the front bumper air deflector.
  3. Disconnect the headlamp washer hose from the fascia.
  4. Remove the front fog lamp bezel.
  5. Remove the front fog lamp assembly.
  6. Remove the front compartment sight shields.

1

Front Bumper Fascia Plastic Retainer (Qty: 4)

2

Tip
Reach underneath the wheelhouse to access the bolts.

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in

Headlamp Capsule Replacement

Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Caution: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. In order to reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns, the battery negative cable must be disconnected any time service work is being performed on or around the high intensity discharge system.

Caution: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. To reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns:

Never open the high intensity discharge system ballast or the arc tube assembly starter.
Never probe between the high intensity discharge system ballast output connector and the arc tube assembly.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Open and support the hood.
  2. Remove the front bumper fascia.
  3. Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector at the base of the headlamp assembly.

1

Headlamp Capsule Assembly Bolt (Qty: 2)

Tighten
6 N·m (53 lb in)

2

Headlamp Capsule Assembly Nut

Tighten
6 N·m (53 lb in)

3

Headlamp Capsule Assembly

Tip
Carefully move the headlamp capsule assembly upward and outward in order to remove.

Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the headlamp capsule.

1

Accessory Cap Screw (Qty: 3)

Tip
Hand tighten only, the accessory cap screws.

2

Accessory Cap

Tip
Inspect and ensure the accessory cap seal is properly seated prior to installing the accessory cap cover.

3

Directional Bulb

Procedure

1. Rotate the bulb socket from the headlamp assembly.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the bulb socket.

4

Accessory Cap Screw (Qty: 3)

Tip

5

Accessory Cap

Tip
Inspect and ensure the seal is properly seated prior to installing the accessory cap.

thanks
Not a problem. Feel free to contact me with any further questions! Good luck!
I followed faschia removal instructions but was still unable to remove it.I removed all screws as described in diagrams but faschia would still not budge.are there any additional srews underneath faschia or elsewhere I would need to remove?
Did you loosen them at the wheel liner and also at the radiator core support? I cannot say that I have had one of these apart as of yet.
I did. Just as described on diagram I got sent. Top part of faschia does come off when I pull slightly but bottom seems screwed down still.
Sorry for the delay, I am going to see if I can find a better illustration of this car. I am not sure what else might be holding you up. This is the way gm gives their instructions to replaced the headlamp. I will be in touch. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks..by the way, I noticed there are plastic snap on screws like the ones along wheel liner all aalong bottom of faschia-would those be screws I need to remove still? Thanks
they would. The first instruction set I sent you stated, Remove the wheelhouse liner. These would be holding you up some I would imagine. I did get a better picture of the front bumper, bur my scanner seems to have broke. My only other concern would be the tabs at the bottom of the lower grille. the illustration shows about 6 tabs and I cannt seem tfind where they actually go. I am figuring that they either go into the grille, which wouldn't cause you a problem like you are having, or possibly they go into the bumper absorber which may cause you a bit of trouble. I will try to get the picture scanned so you can see what I mean. That is as soon as I fix my scanner. I will keep in touch. Thanks again for your patience.
I thought i'd take pics of my car's front and bottom faschia so you could get a clearer picture of what my vehicle looks like. Is there an email i can send you jpeg pics to?
Thanks
-Cesar

You should be able to post them here. I do have another illustration.

graphic

Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH