Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2002 oldsmobile intrigue, the crankshaft sensor ...

Customer Question
I have a 2002 oldsmobile...
I have a 2002 oldsmobile intrigue, the crankshaft sensor needs replaced and there is also a temperature problem with the car running too cold... Are these difficult to fix on my own, if so how? If I need to take the car to a garage, how much would it be to fix these problems?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
11/28/2007
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Auto Service Technician
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Reply to Dan's Post: My car is 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue 6 cylinder with about 110,000 miles. I took my car to auto zone and a tech hooked a computer to the car and told me about both of the errors- the coolant system and the crankshaft malfunction error.

The engine running too cold may be a faulty thermostat not regulating the engine temperature and I would try that first. Here are directions to replace the thermostat, temperature sensor and crank sensor (the crankshaft relearn needs to be performed at a dealership as the Tech 2 scan tool needs to be used).

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 350551  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  3. Remove the starter motor. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Engine Electrical.
  4. Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the CKP sensor bolt (1).
  6. Remove the CKP sensor (2) from the engine block:
    Remove the sensor by pulling on the sensor connector. DO NOT pry on the bracket.
    DO NOT rotate or twist the sensor or damage the mounting bracket if the sensor is being reused.

Installation Procedure

Important: When replacing the CKP sensor with a new sensor or reinstalling the original sensor, use the following recommended procedures:

Ensure that the CKP sensor bore is completely free of any foreign material, such as old O-ring, dirt, burrs, etc.
Ensure that the flange on the CKP sensor bore is not damaged.
Clean all the mounting surfaces before re-installing any components.
Inspect the CKP sensor and replace the sensor if any of the following conditions are present:
- The bracket is damaged.
- The bottom of the brass housing exhibits any damage.
- Never install a sensor that has been dropped.
Lubricate the O-ring on the sensor with clean engine oil prior to installing the sensor .
Inspect all the connectors for any damaged terminals.

Object Number: 350551  Size: SH
  1. Install and fully seat the CKP sensor (2) into the engine block.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the CKP sensor bolt (1).

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 9 N·m (80 lb in)

3. Ensure that the CKP sensor mounting flange is contacting the engine block.
  4. Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector.
  5. Install the starter motor. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Engine Electrical.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. The CKP System Variation Learn Procedure must be performed after replacing the CKP sensor. Even if the original sensor is reinstalled, the Learn Procedure must be performed.
  9. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Notice: Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.

1. Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Engine Cooling.
    2. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) inlet pipe. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Inlet Pipe Replacement .
      Object Number: 256283  Size: SH
    3. Disconnect the ECT sensor (1) .
    4. Remove the ECT sensor.
    Installation Procedure

Notice: Replacement components must be the correct part number for the application. Components requiring the use of the thread locking compound, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, or sealants are identified in the service procedure. Some replacement components may come with these coatings already applied. Do not use these coatings on components unless specified. These coatings can affect the final torque, which may affect the operation of the component. Use the correct torque specification when installing components in order to avoid damage.

Object Number: 256283  Size: SH
    1. Coat the sensor threads with sealer GM P/N 12346004, (Canadian P/N 10953480) or equivalent.

2. Install the ECT sensor (1).

Tighten

Tighten the sensor to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

3. Connect the ECT sensor electrical connector.
    4. Install the EGR inlet pipe. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Inlet Pipe Replacement .
    5. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Engine Cooling.
    6. Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement

Tools Required

J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 289166  Size: SH
      1. Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
      2. Use the J 38185 to remove the radiator hose clamp from the water inlet housing.
      3. Remove the radiator hose from the water inlet housing.
        Object Number: 289181  Size: SH
      4. Use the J 38185 to remove the heater hose clamp from the water inlet housing.
      5. Remove the heater hose from the water inlet housing.
        Object Number: 289178  Size: SH
      6. Use the J 38185 to remove the surge tank inlet hose clamp from the water inlet housing.
      7. Remove the surge tank inlet hose from the water inlet housing.
        Object Number: 263961  Size: SH
      8. Remove the water inlet housing bolts.

Important: The water inlet housing (2) and the thermostat are replaced as an assembly.

9. Remove the water inlet housing and the thermostat.
      10. Inspect and clean the water inlet mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 263961  Size: SH
      1. Install the thermostat and the water inlet housing (2).

2. Install the water inlet housing bolts.

Tighten
        Tighten the bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Object Number: 289178  Size: SH
      3. Install the surge tank inlet hose to the water inlet housing.
      4. Use theJ 38185 to install the surge tank hose clamp to the water inlet housing.
        Object Number: 289181  Size: SH
      5. Install the heater hose to the water inlet housing.
      6. Use theJ 38185 to install the heater hose clamp to the water inlet housing.
        Object Number: 289166  Size: SH
      7. Install the radiator hose to the water inlet housing.
      8. Use theJ 38185 to install the radiator hose clamp to the water inlet housing.
      9. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

Dan, Auto Service Technician
Dan, Auto Service Technician