Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do you replace rotors on 2004 trailblazer

Customer Question
how do you replace rotors...
how do you replace rotors on 2004 trailblazer
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2007
Auto Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 10 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Are you looking to replace just fronts? Is this 4wd?
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: yes just front and it is 4wd

Here is what I have got. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Object Number: 787456  Size: SH

• Inspect the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  • If the brake fluid is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
    Object Number: 787455  Size: SH

• If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between thew maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, using a appropriate tool, remove the brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
    Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: SH

• Compress the front brake caliper piston.
    6.1. Install a large C-clamp over the top of the brake caliper housing and against the back of the outboard brake pad.
    6.2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the piston pushes into the brake caliper enough to slide the brake caliper off the rotor.
    6.3. Remove the C-clamp from the brake caliper.

Object Number: 777313  Size: SH

• Remove the mounting bolts from the brake caliper bracket.
    Object Number: 777315  Size: SH

Important: When performing the following service procedure, the front brake caliper assembly and the front brake caliper mounting bracket can be removed as an assembly.

• Remove the brake caliper and bracket assembly.
    Object Number: 357057  Size: SH

• Remove the retaining clips from the brake rotor.
    Object Number: 777337  Size: SH

Notice: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the wheel bearing flange, clean any rust or foreign material from the mating surface of the rotor and flange. Failure to do this may result in increased lateral runout of the rotor and brake pulsation.

Important: If the brake rotor is not going to be replaced but just removed from the front hub, mark the relationship of the brake rotor and a wheel stud.

• Remove the front brake rotor from the wheel hub.

• Object Number: 777337  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the relationship marks on the brake rotor and the wheel stud are aligned before installing the brake rotor.

• Install the brake rotor to the wheel hub.
    Object Number: 777315  Size: SH

• Install the brake caliper assembly to the steering knuckle.

Object Number: 777313  Size: SH

• Install the brake caliper bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 160 N·m (118 lb ft).

• Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Fill the brake master cylinder to the proper level.

Caution: Do not move the vehicle until a firm brake pedal is obtained. Failure to obtain a firm pedal before moving vehicle may result in personal injury.

• Pump the brake pedal slowly and firmly in order to seat the brake pads.
  • Ask Your Own Car Question
    what size is that big nut and do i have to remove it to get the rotors off
    The large nut does not have to be removed to replace the rotors.
    I am down to the rotor and they do not slide off
    Have you tried tapping on them? Have you removed the retainers on the wheel studs? The should come off easily, but I have seen some that have a build up of corrosion in between the rotor and hub assembly. You may need a hammer to get them off though.
    I removed the retainers..I will try a hammer ..thanks
    Let me know how you make out! good luck!
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    i got them off ..they had 2 bolt holes on the rotors and i but bots in with my impact and the rotors poped off
    Glad to hear you got them off. Normally the bolt trick is not needed. Good work though!
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH