Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1993 gmc truck: new rear brakes..brake pedal..adjust

Customer Question
put new rear brakes on...
put new rear brakes on 1993 gmc truck..parking brake pedal now goes to floor..how do I adjust?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
9/29/2007
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 10 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

First, you need to make sure that the rear brakes are properly adjusted. The shoes should be adjusted so that the drum is a snug fit when going back on over the shoes. You should barely be able to turn the drums by hand. With rear tires off the ground and vehicle in nuetral, the tires should not be able to spin freely. If they do the rear shoes are out of adjustment. Also make sure that rear brakes were re-assembled correctly. Below is how the brakes should be re-assembled:

IF this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

Reply to Eric's Post: the diagram of the brake assembly doesn't match what is on the truck..we do not have abs just regular brakes..the adjusting bar we have is one the top part of the brake shoe assembly

See if this is yours-

Another view- make sure the actuator for adjuster is on correctly-

Here are installation instructions step by step-

• Install the parking brake lever assembly The concave side of the washer should be against the shoe.

• Install the adjuster pin in the shoe so that the pin projects 0.268-0.276 in. (6.8-7.0mm) from the side of the shoe where the actuator is installed.

• Apply an approved brake lubricant grease to the threads of the adjuster screw, socket and socket face.

• Make certain that the brake linings are positioned correctly and connect the upper spring. If you are not sure of which shoe goes where, remove the other brake drum and check it. Don't over-stretch the spring; you'll ruin it. The spring can't be stretched, safely, more than 8.04 in. (204mm).

• Install the adjusting mechanism between the shoes. Make the following checks before installation:

1. Be certain that the adjusting screw assembly engages the adjuster shoe and parking brake lever.

2. Make sure that the spring clip is positioned towards the backing plate.

3. The linings are in the correct positions. The shoe with the parking brake lever is the rear shoe.

• Coat the shoe mounting pads on the backing plate with a thin coat of lithium grease.

• Position the assembly on the backing plate, engaging the upper shoe ends with the wheel cylinder pushrods.

• Hook the lower return spring into the shoe ends and spread the shoes, guiding the lower spring over the anchor plate. Don't over-stretch the spring; you'll ruin it. The spring can't be stretched, safely, more than 41/4 in. (108mm).

• Install the hold-down spring assemblies.

• Place the adjuster actuator over the end of the adjusting pin so its top leg engages the notch in the adjuster screw.

• Install the actuator spring. Make sure that the free end of the actuator engage the notch of the adjuster nut. Don't over-stretch the spring. Its maximum stretch is 31/4 in. (83mm).

• Connect the parking brake cable to the lever.

• Turn the star adjuster until the drum slides over the brakes shoes with only a slight drag.

• .

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager