jackduppel
jackduppel, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician
5985674

where is the fuel filter located on a 2002 jeep ...

where is the fuel filter located on a 2002 jeep wrangler 6 cylender? Also, what is the best way to troubleshoot fault codes p0442 and p0455. Gas cap and seal look good. Vehicle runs great with normal gas mailage (17 mpg on hwy). I need to know how to track these fuel pressure or vacume lines. My son off roaded and did not take care of this vehicle the past two months and now I have it.

revenbob,

welcome to JA,

Unfortunately the only fuel filter on your Jeep is located inside the gas tank - and is not designed for routine service.

Hope this helps

Jack Duppel

ASE Certified Tech

Code info to follow momentarily

P0442 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

What does that mean?

This indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

Symptoms

You likely won't notice any drivability problems.

Causes

A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

• A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
  • A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
  • A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
  • Other small leak in EVAP system
  • Faulty vent o-ring seal

Possible Solutions

With a P0442, the most common repair is to:

• Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
  • Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
  • Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses

P0455 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

What does that mean?

This indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

Symptoms

Causes

A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

• A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
  • Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

Possible Solutions

With a p0455, the most common repair is to:

• Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
  • Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary

Hope this info helps you outCustomer

Good Luck

Jack Duppel

Please click ACCEPT so that we get credit for our answers. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What about fault code p0455? How do i trace these evap hoses?
Customer

See most recent answer for code P0455.. As far as tracing the evap hoses-- to check them for possible leakage- the easiest way is - with the engine running- spray sensor safe carb cleaner over all the Evap hoses-- if the idle rises- you have found your problem-- The odds are against this being your problem-- Usually these codes occur when the gas cap was not tightened enough after a fill up-- I would visit autozone- they will extract & erase these codes free of charge- then if the codes come back I would further address & diagnose a problem if one exists. Good Luck