Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1998 GMC: K1500..5.7L Vortec V8 with a regular timing light or do I

Customer Question
Can i set the timing...
Can i set the timing on a 1998 GMC K1500 5.7L Vortec V8 with a regular timing light or do I need to take it in to a service center and have them hook it up to a dianostic machine?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
9/6/2007
Auto Mechanic: Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
The timing is electronically controlled on your GMC. If you removed and replaced the distributor there is a procedure to line it up correctly but all fine adjustments are done by the computer.
What would that procedure be? I had the timing adjusted by a garage a while ago and they told me they got it close but the chain was stretched and should be replaced. Since i was in there chainging the water pump, I decided to replace the chain. I would like to check the timing and adjust it if necessary. Can I do this at home or not?

There is no such thing as close when it comes to this truck. You can do it at home with some simple tools.

Distributor Installation

Object Number: 195336  Size: SH

1. Bring cylinder number one piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke.
    Object Number: 500690  Size: SH

2. Remove the distributor cap bolts and discard.
  3. Remove the distributor cap.
    Object Number: 523516  Size: SH

4. Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor.
    Object Number: 492137  Size: SH
  5. Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
  6. Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.
    Object Number: 523746  Size: SH

7. Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.
  8. Align the flat (1) in the distributor housing toward the front of the engine.
  9. Install the distributor and distributor clamp.
    Object Number: 68505  Size: SH

10. Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 8 pointer that is cast into the distributor base.
  11. If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 8 pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure in order to achieve proper alignment.
    Object Number: 366609  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

12. Install the distributor clamp bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 500690  Size: SH
  13. Install the distributor cap onto the distributor.
  14. Install the NEW distributor cap bolts. Do not overtighten the NEW distributor cap bolts.

This of course assumes the timing chain was installed correctly.

Object Number: 11503  Size: SH

Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician