Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Where is disconnect for headlight on GMC 2000 Envoy

Customer Question
Need replacement for a Philips...
Need replacement for a Philips xenon bulb/starter headlight system in a GMC 2000 Envoy. What is wiring diagram on path from bulb/starter to disconnect? Only one cable with no disconnect at bulb/starter. Numbers on bulb/starter are 16526104, Bulb/starter 16526491, Xenon light system XXXXXXXXXXX0, Serial number 15598.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
9/2/2007
Auto Mechanic: wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, do you need the replacement instructions for high instensity headlight and the wiring diagram?
wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician

High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Replacement Philips

Removal Procedure

Caution: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. To reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns:

Never open the high intensity discharge system ballast or the arc tube assembly starter.
Never probe between the high intensity discharge system ballast output connector and the arc tube assembly.

Caution: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. In order to reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns, the battery negative cable must be disconnected any time service work is being performed on or around the high intensity discharge system.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Object Number: 586856  Size: SH

Notice: Avoid touching the bulb or letting the bulb come in contact with anything damp. Oil from your skin or moisture on the bulb can cause the bulb to explode when the bulb is turned on. If either comes in contact with the bulb, clean the bulb with alcohol or a suitable degreaser and wipe the bulb dry.

1. Remove the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the radiator grille from the vehicle. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior Trim.
  3. Remove the front bumper assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Impact Bar Replacement - Front Bumper in Bumpers.
  4. Remove the starter cable retaining screws and cover from the headlamp ballast.
    Object Number: 586972  Size: SH

5. Remove the retaining clip from the starter cable connector.
  6. Remove the starter cable from the headlamp ballast.
    Object Number: 392915  Size: SH

7. Remove the headlamp retainers by pulling up and outward.
    Object Number: 293653  Size: SH

8. Disconnect the electrical connections and bulb(s) from the headlamp housing.
    Object Number: 364362  Size: SH

9. Remove the headlamp mounting bracket retainers.
  10. Remove the headlamp mounting bracket from the headlamp housing.
  11. On a bench, remove the arc tube with starter from the headlamp housing. Refer to High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Starter/Arc Tube Replacement .

Installation Procedure

1. On a bench, assemble the arc tube with starter to the headlamp. Refer to High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Starter/Arc Tube Replacement .
  2. Install the headlamp mounting bracket to the headlamp housing.
    Object Number: 364362  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the headlamp mounting bracket retainers.

Tighten

Tighten the headlamp mounting bracket flange nut to 5 N·m (45 lb in).
    Tighten the headlamp mounting bracket bolts to 1.24 N·m (11 lb in).

Object Number: 293653  Size: SH

4. Connect the electrical connections and bulb(s) to the headlamp housing.
    Object Number: 364275  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the lower retaining tabs are seated for proper headlamp housing retention.

5. Install the headlamp to the vehicle.
    Object Number: 293650  Size: SH

6. Install the headlamp retainers by pushing down and inward.
    Object Number: 586972  Size: SH

7. Install the starter cable connector to the ballast.

Important: The arc tube will not energize if the retaining clip is removed or improperly installed.

8. Install the retaining clip to the starter cable connector.
    Object Number: 586856  Size: SH

9. Install the starter cable retaining screws and cover to the headlamp ballast.

Tighten

Tighten the starter cable screws to 0.7 N·m (6 lb in).

10. Install the front bumper assembly to the vehicle. Refer to Impact Bar Replacement - Front Bumper in Bumpers.
  11. Install the radiator grille to the vehicle. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior Trim.
  12. Install the battery negative cable.

Grille Replacement (GMC)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 302956  Size: SH

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the grille by gently pulling evenly in order to disengage the retainers.
  3. Remove the grille from the vehicle.

High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Starter/Arc Tube Replacement Philips

Removal Procedure

Notice: When removing or replacing the arc tube, the arc tube must not contact the side of the headlamp housing or the bulb shield. Damage to the arc tube may result.

Object Number: 586966  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the headlamp. Refer to High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Replacement .
  3. Remove the arc tube with starter retaining screws from the headlamp housing.
  4. Remove the arc tube with starter from the headlamp housing.
  5. Remove and retain the spiral electromagnetic interference (EMI) shield from the headlamp housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 470352  Size: SH

1. Install the spiral electromagnetic interference (EMI) shield to the headlamp housing.

Important: The headlamp starter must be held perfectly straight to the headlamp housing, apply pressure downward to compress the spiral electromagnetic interference shield with the headlamp starter as the 3 screws are replaced. The headlamp starter and arc tube assembly also has a tendency to tilt to 1 side because of the spiral electromagnetic interference shield.

2. Install the headlamp starter assembly to the headlamp. Ensure that the alignment notch (1) and tab (2) are lined up.
    Object Number: 586966  Size: SH

Notice: The correct tightening sequence must be followed. If the correct sequence is not followed, the headlamp components may warp and cause premature failure of the system.

Important: Follow the correct tightening sequence. Use GM P/N 12346067 or Loctite® 380/410 on these fasteners or in the headlamp housing screw holes.

3. Install the starter/arc tube retaining screws to the headlamp housing.

Tighten

1. Tighten the starter/arc tube screws to 0.5 N·m (4.5 lb in) on the first pass.
    2. Tighten the starter/arc tube screws to 1 N·m (9 lb in) on the second pass.

Important: The starter cable routing from the starter/arc tube to the ballast is between the headlamp mounting bracket and the back of the headlamp housing. The starter cable must be routed between the vertical adjuster and the center pivot in order to provide proper clearance.

4. Install the headlamp to the vehicle. Refer to High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Replacement .
  5. Connect the battery negative cable.

FIGURE DRL, Low Beam Relays and BCM (Envoy/Diamond Edition 1SK)(c)

Object Number: 537715  Size: FS

wrench9124
wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician