Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Automotive - 98 Pontiac Transport - Power Locks are clicking…

Customer Question
Automotive - 98 Pontiac Transport...
Automotive - 98 Pontiac Transport - Power Locks are clicking and now chime is sounding with key in ignition and car running.   Could this be an issue related to the ignition switch?   It seems that this only occurs when keys are in the ignition
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
8/23/2007
Auto Mechanic: Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic

Before this issue, did your car doors lock when the vehicle was put in gear?

When car is put into gear the doors locked.   They unlocked when put into park adn ignition to OFF.
Hi, I do not think there is any thing wrong with your ignition switch. I do however think that one of your door switches is faulty as it thinks you have left the key in the ignition and the door is open. ( it thinks the door is open ) this would explain why the door locks are clicking as they are not supposed to lock with the door open. Replacing the door switch should take care of the issue. More than likely the drivers door. ( all this is assuming you have no doors ajar / left open when this occurs )
related info I am being told that the locks click with the key removed and the car OFF and just sitting.
Not sure then, I will open this question back up in case one of the other experts have come across this issue.