Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

REDUCE ENGINE POWER MESSAGE GMC SIERRA

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2003 GMC...
I HAVE A 2003 GMC SIERRA 1500 4.8L ENG AUTO TRANS, 220K MILES. THE (REDUCE ENGINE POWER) MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED ON THE DASH READOUT. THE TRUCK HAS VERY LITTLE POWER. I KNOW THIS IS A ENGINE PROTECTION MODE IN CASES OF OVERHEATING TO PROTECT THE ENGINE FROM DAMAGE. HOWEVER, MY TRUCK IS NOT OVERHEATED, THE COOLANT IS FULL AND I HAVE CHANGED THE COOLANT TEMPERTURE SENSOR. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
8/9/2007
Auto Mechanic: Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician replied 10 years ago
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician

I don't know what's making you think that. That light is just another name for a check engine light.

The check engine light is a warning light that comes on if the computerized engine control system detects an engine performance or emissions problem. Also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL) or "Service Engine soon". It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and some not as serious.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone in your area, they will read them for free.

Reply to Hammer Time's Post: THIS IS SEPERATE FROM THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. THIS IS NOT A LIGHT AT AT ALL . IT READS OUT (REDUCE ENGINE POWER). THE OWNERS MANUAL MAKE REFFERENCE TO IT BEING A ENGINE PROTECTION MODE TO PROTECT THE ENGINE IN CASE OF OVERHEATING SO THAT THE TRUCK CAN BE DRIVEN A SHORT DISTANCE

I know what it is and not it's not for overheating. It's for stored powertrain codes.

graphic

Reply to Hammer Time's Post: This is a direct quote from General Motors, the manufacture of the truck. "OVERHEATED ENGINE PROTECTION. If an overheated engine condition existist and the REDUCE ENGINE POWER message is displayed, an overheated protection mode which alternates firing groups of cylinders helps prevent engine damage. In this mode you will notice a loss in power and engine performance. This operating mode allows your vehicle to be driven to a safe place in an emergency. Driving extended miles and/or towing a trailer in the overheated protection should be avoided". Now, with that information I would hope you may consider another troublehooting path, being that this message has nothing to do with stored codes, if not, could you please pass me along to someone with more knowledge in this area.

Quote:
If an overheated engine condition existist and the REDUCE ENGINE POWER message is displayed

AND being the key word there. This is merely one function of that light and it can come of for a whole pile of other reasons.

It's a malfunction indicator. Overheating is ONE of the malfunctions it's programmed for.

After another expert reads this, do you really think they will want to get involved?

Reply to Hammer Time's Post: THIS TRUCK HAS A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON A CODE IS STORED AS PART OF THE OBD. THESE CODES CAN BE USED TO DIAGNOSE A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT PROBLEMS, BERORE I CAME TO THIS SITE I WENT TO AUTOZONE TO SEE IF A CODE MAY HAVE BEEN STORED, THIS IS NOT THAT LIGHT. THIS IS A DASH READ OUT THAT IS SPECIFIC WITH MESSAGES SUCH AS " CHANGE ENGINE OIL, ADD COOLANT, SERVICE BREAK SYSTEM, AIR BAG MALFUNCTION, ENGINE OVERHEATING AND REDUCE ENGINE POWER. PER GENERAL MOTORS THE REDUCE ENGINE POWER MESSAGE SHOULD ONLY COME WHEN THE ENGINE MAY BE DAMAGED DUE TO OVERHEATING. MY TRUCK IS NOT OVERHEATING. PLEASE OPEN YOUR MIND ENOUGH TO REALIZE THAT THIS MAY BE SOMETHING NEW TO YOU AND ACCEPT THE CHALLANGE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM

Never mind,

You must think I stsarted doing this yesterday.

Reply to Hammer Time's Post: NO, I WANT YOU TO REALIZE THAT EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TOLD ME SO FAR I ALREADY KNEW, AND HAVE ALREADY TRIED OR IT WAS FALSE. YOU MAY NOT BE SHADE TREE, BUT YOU STILL COULD TAKE A FEW CLASSES TO UPDATE YOURSELF. I REALIZE YOU ARE WEAK IN THIS AREA AND AT THIS POINT KNOW YOU ARE NOT MUCH HELP. NEXT TIME I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE OIL I WILL LOOK YOU UP. FOR NOW I WILL SEEK A REAL EXPERT
Your unbelievable
Auto Mechanic: Frank, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Frank
Frank, Auto Service Technician
The drivers information cenmter is in comunications with all the sytems of the vehicle.With the display and the lack of power the pcm(engine computer) is seeing a problem.A code reader-what auto zone uses will not read a pending code. A temperature sending unit will not fix a problem.You need a scanner to see the parameters to see if the engine coolant or tranmission fliud is getting to hot,A engine over heat can be a bad thermostat,low on coolant or a bad fan clutch.We cannot diagnose a car over the internet- we give you info to look at thing to help us-you are are ears and eyes.
Frank
Frank
Frank, Auto Service Technician