AutoTechGuy
AutoTechGuy, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, ASE Advanced engine performance
5450180

1996 dodge neon: vapor lock or cut fuel delivery in hot weather

Customer Question

what can cause my 1996 dodge neon to vapor lock or cut fuel delivery in hot weather
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoTechGuy replied 10 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Your Neon has a high pressure fuel system so it cannot vapor lock. If the fuel is cutting off in hot weather I would suspect the fuel pump. It can overheat and shut down. The other thing to check is the fuel pump relay (located in the power distribution box on the left side of the engine compartment). It can also overheat and act up.

Check the fuel pressure when the vehicle is acting up. It should be about 48 PSI. If it is too low then check for power to the fuel pump when the vehicle is acting up. It should be at least 12 volts at all times the engine is running. If it is bad, look at the relay. If it is good look at the pump.

If the fuel pressure is good at all times then your problem is somewhere other than the fuel system.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.