Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 Corvette: Need procedures for removing a/c compressor

Customer Question
Need procedures for removing a/c...
Need procedures for removing a/c compressor 2000 Corvette. Please respond as soon as possible.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2007
Auto Mechanic: Bob, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician

Hi Renee, I am sending you removal instructions for the compressor from the GM service manual. Takes some time and patience as these are a little more involved than most systems, because of the design and the way they are mounted. Good luck with it and thanks, Bob

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Corvette

Compressor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 296204  Size: SH

1. Recover the refrigerant.
  2. Remove the battery heat shield.
  3. Remove the accessory and compressor drive belts.
  4. Remove the water pump.
  5. Disconnect the compressor clutch electrical connector.
    Object Number: 82082  Size: SH

6. Remove the compressor hose to compressor retaining bolt.

Important: Cap or tape the open compressor hose immediately to prevent contamination.

7. Disconnect the compressor hose from the compressor, discard the seal washers and cap or tape the hose end to prevent contamination.
    Object Number: 296274  Size: SH

8. Remove the compressor mounting nut.
  9. Fully loosen the compressor mounting stud.
    Object Number: 296278  Size: SH

10. Remove the compressor mounting bolts.
  11. Remove the compressor and the mounting stud from the vehicle.
  12. Remove the compressor mounting stud from the compressor.
    Object Number: 301171  Size: SH

13. If replacing the compressor, drain and measure as much of the oil as possible from the removed compressor:
    1. Drain the oil from both the suction and discharge ports of the removed compressor into a clean container.
    2. Remove the compressor crankcase oil drain bolt (1) and drain the crankcase oil from the removed compressor into the same container.
    3. Measure and record the amount of oil drained from the removed compressor. This measurement will be used during installation of the replacement compressor.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 301171  Size: SH

1. Replacement compressor will come without refrigerant oil. When adding oil to this compressor, adhere closely to the following instructions:
    1. If the amount of oil drained from the old compressor is less than or equal to 60 ml (2 oz), add 60 ml of new clean oil to the new compressor.
    2. If the amount of oil drained from the old compressor is greater than 60 ml (2 oz), add the same amount of new clean oil to the new compressor as drained from the old compressor.

Object Number: 296278  Size: SH

2. Install the compressor mounting stud to the compressor.
  3. Install the compressor into position on the compressor mounting bracket.
  4. Install the compressor mounting stud to the engine block.
  5. Install the compressor mounting bolt in the upper, forward position (net locating hole).
  6. Install the remaining compressor mounting bolts.
  7. Tighten the compressor mounting bolts in the following sequence:
    1. Front upper, first
    2. Front lower, second
    3. Rear lower, third

Tighten
      Tighten the compressor mounting bolts in sequence to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 296274  Size: SH

8. Tighten the compressor mounting stud.

Tighten
    Tighten the compressor mounting stud to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

9. Install the compressor mounting nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the compressor mounting nut to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 297220  Size: SH

10. Remove the cap or tape from the compressor hose end (2).
  11. Using a lint-free clean, dry cloth, carefully clean the sealing surfaces of the compressor hose (2) and the compressor (3).
  12. Lightly coat the new seal washers (1) with mineral base 525 viscosity refrigerant oil.

Important: DO NOT allow any of the mineral base 525 viscosity refrigerant oil on the seal washers to enter the refrigerant system.

13. Carefully slide the new seal washers (1) onto the compressor hose (2) until seated.
    Object Number: 82082  Size: SH

14. Install the compressor hose to the compressor.
  15. Install the compressor hose to compressor retaining bolt.
    Object Number: 297224  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important: After tightening the compressor hose (3) to the compressor (2), there should be a slight sealing washer gap (1) of approximately 1.2 mm (3/64 in) between the compressor hose (3) and the compressor (2).

16. Tighten the compressor hose to compressor retaining bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the compressor hose to compressor retaining bolt to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

Object Number: 296204  Size: SH

17. Connect the compressor clutch electrical connector.
  18. Install the water pump.
  19. Install the accessory and compressor drive belts.
  20. Install the battery heat shield.
  21. Refill the cooling system.
  22. Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system.
  23. Check the compressor hose to compressor joint and the compressor for leaks.

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Corvette

Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Perhaps my question was phrased improperly. Once the compressor has been disconnected, how do you get it out of the car? Do you need to remove the subframe or other parts?
Hi Renee, Not that I am aware of. I can imagine it being a tight fit, considering how they build things sometimes. But, if it was necessary to drop the sub frame or something else that was very major at all, the would usually include that step in the removal procedure, which they did not. What I sent you was the whole page related to the removal of the compressor. But, it has been a couple of years since I have actually worked on one of them and I could be forgetting something that is obvious. I'm not so sure this retirement stuff is going to work out for me. You tend to forget little things that used to be automatic. Later today there will be a couple of other fellows on line who are really sharp and still working everyday. I will talk to both of them later today and see if they know something I do not. It is pretty e-z to get 3 or 4 guys involved in one question to get a car fixed. I will let you know what I find out, either way later in the day. Thanks for your patience, Bob
Reply to Bob's Post: I was sent a reminder to accept for either of the answers I received; however, I was waiting on another response from you. In your second response you said you were going to ask a couple of other people and get back to me that same day. Please advise if you have no further information. The compressor has been turned every direction possible and it will not fit to remove it from the area so it can be replaced.
Hi again Renee, Don't even worry about the accept button. It is more important that we find a solution to the problem. I have asked 2 other fellow so far and neither of them was able to supply any more information. I have one other fellow who is pretty exceptional on these things, but he has yet to respond to my request for help on it. If you would like, I would be happy to opt out of the question for you, in hopes that someone else might pick it up and be able to help you with it. I really hate to see you stuck while awaiting a helpful reply. One of the other guys said that he had done one but it had been a while ago, but her remembered he also had problems with it and that he could only remember that he had to remove the stud before he could accomplish anything. I am going to send another fellow a private e mail and see if I can get a response from him. In the meantime if you would like I can opt out and even if I do that, I would still be most happy to come back in later, if I can find a correct answer to your dilemma. Thanks, Bob
Auto Mechanic: Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician replied 10 years ago
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician

I'm trying to help out Bob here.

Have you removed the water pump yet?

Once you remove the water pump you still have to back out that one stud in the top left of the compressor.Leave the stud loose in the compressor until you can roll it clear enough to pull the stud out.

Everything is tight in here but it should come out of there.

Well, I opened your answer today about removing the water pump; however, the garage we took my car to already had the compressor out on Saturday. That is how they removed it too. Thanks for your time and contacting your network of technicians. Response time just didn't work out for us this time.
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician