Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

location of fuel filter on 97 jeep grand cherokee

Customer Question
laredo 4.0 v6...
location of fuel filter on 97 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 v6
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
4/15/2007
Auto Mechanic: Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 10 years ago
Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

There are 2 different Locations Listed:

The fuel filter should be located under the vehicle, mounted on the frame rail on the driver's side:

Click image to see an enlarged view

OR:

The fuel filter is an integral component of the fuel pressure regulator, which is mounted on top of the fuel pump module, located in the fuel tank. When the fuel filter/regulator assembly requires service, the fuel tank must be removed from the vehicle, however, the fuel pump module does not need to be removed.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. Remove the fuel tank assembly.

4. Clean the area around the fuel filter/regulator.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the fuel filter/pressure regulator retaining clip from the top of the assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Replace the old fuel filter/pressure regulator mounting gasket

1. Disengage the retaining clamp from the top of the filter/regulator assembly. Discard the retaining clamp.

2. Using 2 small prying tools, pry the filter/regulator assembly out from the top of the fuel pump module. The filter/regulator assembly will unsnap from the fuel pump module.

3. Remove and discard the mounting gasket below the filter/regulator.

4. Before discarding the fuel filter/pressure regulator assembly, inspect the assembly to verify that the O-rings are intact. If the smallest of the 2 O-rings cannot be found on the bottom of the filter/regulator, it may be necessary to remove it from the fuel inlet passage in the fuel pump module.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Check the condition of the fuel filter/pressure regulator O-rings

1. Clean the recessed area in the pump module where the filter/regulator assembly is to be installed.

2. Check the replacement filter/regulator assembly to make sure that the new O-rings are already installed on the assembly.

3. Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to the O-rings.

4. Install a new gasket on top of the fuel pump module.

5. Press the new fuel filter/pressure regulator assembly into the top of the fuel pump module until it snaps into position (a positive click must be heard or felt).

6. The arrow on top of the fuel pump module should be pointed towards the front of the vehicle (12 O&rsquoclock position).

7. Turn the filter/regulator assembly until the supply tube (fitting) is pointed to the 11 O&rsquoclock position.

8. Install new retainer clamp (the clamp snaps over the top of the filter/regulator and locks to the flanges on the pump module).

9. Install the fuel tank assembly.

10. Connect the negative battery cable.

Lurch
Lurch