How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 1942
Experience:  Ase Master 35 years
Type Your Car Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I identify which oldsmobile engine I have

Resolved Question:

It is a V-8. Edelbrock's 350 intake manifold is too small for it. Has a QuadraJet 4barrel carb.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to HART's Post: My car is a 1983 Olds cutlass supreme. The engine was purchased to go in a 1976 cutlass, but never used for it. I was told it could be a 455 but am having trouble identfiying it
Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.


Is the distributer in the fount of the motor or in the rear?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to HART's Post: rear
Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.

Ok trying to narrow it down

Oil fill tube in the fount of the motor?

If so there is a set of numbers stamped on it

Can you pass those to me please

Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.
  • A big block measures 14" between the heads at the manifold base, while a small block measure 12" between the heads at the manifold base.
  • Facing the front of the engine, at the top surface of the timing chain area, to the left of the oil fill tube, there is a code about 1.5" high followed by the casting number. A letter indicates a big block, a number indicates a small block.
  • A tell-tell sign is that the big blocks have a little hump in that area, whereas the small blocks are flat the whole way across.
  • Let me know if this helps you!


    Customer: replied 10 years ago.
    numbers on the oil fill tube are(NNN) NNN-NNNN
    Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.


    The number stamped on the oil filler tube is the engine unit code. The first number indicates the year the engine was assembled and the remaining numbers refer to the sequence build code and size,



    1972- year of engine

    562- is the cast line code

    46-casting plant

    on the olds engine 0 to 4 is a small block

    5 to 9 is a big block

    If the fill tube is the correct tube for the engine you have a 1972 455 engine

    Let me know if i can help more!



    RD and 9 other Car Specialists are ready to help you