Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

What is my 1972 Corvette worth

Customer Question
PROJECT CAR. One owner...
PROJECT CAR. One owner '72 Corvette T-Top from California with 140K orginal miles, all numbers matching. 350 V8,
Turbo 400 auto trans, ps, pb, pw, tilt-scope steering, leather interior, second set of tinted T-Tops (but no radio). Vehicle has been stored in temp & humidity-controlled garage for last 9-years; driven once around the block annually so I know it runs. Some engine compartment mods, but I have 98% of all original equipment; manifolds, chrome ignition shielding, steering wheel, etc. Body NEVER damaged and I can prove it (same insurance company since 1973).
Color: Steel Cities Gray Firemist with
two repaints. Last model year of chrome bumpers front and rear and removeable rear window. Complete
history--most maintenance done by owner.

I want to sell it as-is--what's it worth ?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Car
3/2/2007
Auto Mechanic: Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician replied 10 years ago
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
The C-3 era vettes are not drawing big money as of yet. The mileage is quite high on yours and depending on what condition the rest of the car is in, your probably looking at between $10,000 and $16,000
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Auto Mechanic: William, Auto Service Technician replied 10 years ago
William
William, Auto Service Technician

It would be tough for us to appraise the value of your Vette', due to our inability to check through the particular piece in question. If you want the most accurate assessment of your vehicle, I'd recommend looking into getting it appraised by an on-site professional. This way it can be determined the quality of your vehicle, the official designation (ie. restoration, original, and to what degree of either). It sounds like you have a nice piece, but a good appraiser would take a minimum of one hour poking around. I think it would be in your best interest to have it done, as even an appraisal can increase the value of the car (it puts the buyer at ease and more willing to spend the extra bucks). I realize this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but it's really all we can do.

William
William, Auto Service Technician

I own a 78 myself and I did a lot of shopping before buying it so I saw a lot of prices.

The figures I gave you fall about in the middle. Occasionally you would see someone asking for more but likely wasn't geting it. There are many of them for sale in the $12K to $14K range.

It would take considerable restoration to get in any higher brackets.

William
William
William, Auto Service Technician