Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

No Comment Added

Customer Question
No Comment Added
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
11/5/2006
Auto Mechanic: Geordie, Mobile Mechanic & Motor Trader replied 11 years ago
Geordie
Geordie, Mobile Mechanic & Motor Trader
Hi

Does the truck start and drive okay or is there a driveability issue as well as a cutting out issue?

Cheers

Geordie
Reply to Geordie's Post: when driving it shake and has hesitation when you hit the gas pedal
Would you say the vehicle felt as thiugh it had lost a couple of cylinders?

I say this because Ford use the wasted spark ignition system, and this means that if one coil pack fails, you lose two cylinders.

You can check this by disconnecting the injectors one at a time whilst someone holds the revs above idle and seeing whether or not it makes a difference to the problem.

If the problem get s worse, reconnect the injector and move onto the next one.

If the problem is not effected at all when you disconnect an injector, the problem lies with the ignition coil feeding that cylinder.

Does this make any sense?

Cheers

Geordie
Reply to Geordie's Post: If the ignition coil pack is bad do think i need to replace all of them

I many ignition coil do this truck have
I think the vehicle will have 4 coil packs, each one feeding 2 spark plugs. You can change all 4 if you like but most people would only change the bad one.

Did you do the little test I gave you to check them?

Cheers

Geordie
Reply to Geordie's Post: yes I did the test and one of core pack is bad
Do think I should change all of them and the spark plugs      And thank for your help
Just one more check before we condemn the coil pack. If the vehicle does have four coil packs, then disconnect both injectors at the cylinders which are fed by the suspect coil pack. This should make no difference to the problem whatsoever if the coil pack is at fault.

Once you have confirmed this then if you feel you need to change all four packs then go ahead and do so, it can do no harm. I suppose you could think along the lines of how far behind the faulty coil pack are the other three before they give up the ghost.

As far as the spark plugs are concerned, you could change them for your own peace of mind. The good thing here is you have the choice, and whilst you're under the hood I suppose changing the plugs could be added to the equation. What harm could it do? None whatsoever, and you will have a good as new ignition system!

Regards

Geordie
Geordie
Geordie
Geordie, Mobile Mechanic & Motor Trader