toyotaman
toyotaman, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  ASE Master with L1 Advanced Engine Performance. Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician, 32 yrs Toyota
1625667

The pinion shaft and front and rear bearings so that I..tires..axle

I am trying to pull the differential casing that houses the pinion shaft and front and rear bearings so that I can change the side bearings also. I have the rear-end on jack stands so that the tires will rotate. I need to know if I must remove the axle to pull the casing away from the differential?
The axle's need to be remove at least 6-8 inches. It is the 4 nuts behind the backing plate, remove the emergency brake cables and brake tube.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: What are you calling the backing plate. Do I take the brakes off and the drum to get to It. P.S. I have completeley rebuilt 2 22RE motors and and my drive-line however, this is my first attempt at a rear-end. Sorry if I sound like I am lost with this one. Should I order a Factory service manual if they are still available.
The backing plate is the part that holds the shoes, but you don't have to take the drum off The nuts are on the outside on the opposite side as the brake shoes.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: Lastly, How do you check the pre-load on new bearings?
Overhauling rear ends is a skill that many proffessional technicians possess, the skill is developed through experience. That being said the pinion preload is set using an inch pound torque wrench. The side gears are set by seating both bearings>back off the ring side> run the other side in till 0 backlash on the ring> run the ring gear side bearing in till you get the 0.005-0.007" back lash on the ring. The side bearing preload should be good using this procedure.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: Thank You Very Much for sharing your experience!!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have rebuilt differential and still have symptoms. When I reach 40 mph in 3rd gear at appx 3200rpm I get a severe vibration. When I let off the accelerator it subsides. It only appears at appx 40mph+ and when I am accelerating. Any thoughts
I would be looking at the drive shaft for worn u joint or center CV joint. Also see if there is play in the transfer case flange. The diff would not cause these symptoms.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: there is a worn u-joint at the third member flange. If there is play in the transfer case flange do I need to remove transfer case to repair. I have no problem with paying you again for your' expertise. Just let me know how
The flange on the transfer case is tightened by the 30mm nut that holds it on, just tighten and re stake the nut. By third member do you mean the joint in the middle of the driveshaft? Just hit accept
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: By third member I mean the flange by the pinion drive at the differential. I have already replaced the center bearing on the drive line.
Don't know if you are aware but the two sections of drive shafts have to be aligned. Meaning the "ears" that hold the joints on the front and rear shafts must be aligned to each other down the driveshaft.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to toyotaman's Post: thank you very much. In the future when I have a new question to post, how do I ensure that it will be you I communicate with. Secondly, how do I leave you a positive review!!!

You have to click accept, then you can leave feed back, Just direct you question to me

Thanks again