Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 Buick Lesabre: passenger power windows..unlock..circuit

Customer Question
Hi: I just purchased a...
Hi: I just purchased a used 2000 Buick Lesabre. The passenger power windows do not work, either with the window lock switch in lock or unlock position. Other than the window lock switch, what other components in the circuit could cause this problem? Is there anyplace on the internet I could get a wiring diagram for this circuit?
                                         &nbs p;                                         &n bsp;        Thank You
                                         &nbs p;                                         &n bsp;        Joe Ireland
                                         &nbs p;                                         &n bsp;        [email protected]
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/26/2006
Auto Mechanic: Davo, Master technician replied 11 years ago
Davo
Davo, Master technician
There are modules and wires all over that car.The best course of action is to remove the door panel and check for power and ground.Just unplug the motor and place the leads of a test light across the wiring connector.Operate the switches both ways.If the test light comes on both ways the motors are bad.If it doesn't we can try to go from there.
Davo
Davo, Master technician
Relist: I still need help.
Dave
This means all 3 Passenger windows should be checked? The place I bought it from is going to change the switches on the drivers door first, under warrenty. I was wondering if there was anything else in the circuit that would be a common problem to all 3 windows. I reprogramed the DIC window lockout from R+PASS to REAR with no effect. The drivers side window and all the other switches work fine. The lockout switsh lights when pushed on. At this point the switch is the only common thing I see causing this problem. It does not seem that all three door motors would be burnt out at the same time although it's possible. If I had a wiring diagram I could troubleshoot it myself being I have a background in electronics.
                      Joe
Do the door locks work?I would only check one door to see if power is missing.If the door locks are not working either it could be the class 2 splice under the drivers seat.Under the carpet there is a splice in the communication wire.If the floor was ever wet it's probably bad.So the big question is do the door locks work on the passenger doors?
Reply to Davo's Post: Dave
   No, the door locks don't work. Something I didn't relize until now. This spice under the drivers seat is it easy to see or get to?
                                 Joe
The seat needs to comeout and the carpeting needs lifted up to get to it.I remove both seats and the carpeting to get at it.He is a pic of the location.It's in the area of number 4. Object Number: 596773  Size: LF
Reply to Davo's Post: Dave
I will look at doing this. I did look under the seat with it full foward and saw 2 spices, one yellow 2wires in and out, the other 4wires in and out. The yellow I took apart, looked dirty, cleaned,and no voltage on any wire to ground on any wire. The other big one I couldn't get apart, to far under the seat. Will look at doing the seat bit next but will not be able to do anything until next week.
My suggestion would be to pass this info on to the place that sold it to you.If they were going to do the switch under warranty maybe they would do this for you.You won't always read voltage on this circuit because it toggles between 0 and 7 volts dc when the modules talk.You will not be able to get at this wire with the seat in the car it's under the carpet.The wire is tan/white.Here is a shematic. Don't mess with yellow connections that is for the restraint system. Object Number: 411379  Size: FS
Reply to Davo's Post: Hi Dave
I talked to him today and will pass the last message on to him early Tuesday. I got to look at it more today and also realized that the dome lights don't work when the doors are opened. The lights work from the dash and individual light switches. While checking this out I decided to check the Headlights out and the light switch stuck and I spent the afternoon taking that apart and repairing. Works good now! Thanks again for the info. If we still have problems on Tuesday, will get back to you
                             Joe Ireland
If the windows,door locks and the dome light doesn't work when you open passenger doors it's a very good bet the communication is down.The splice is the first place I would look.
Reply to Davo's Post: Hi Dave
   Sorry I have not got back to you. The switch finally came in, and no change. He took the drivers seat out and pulled the carpet up and found lots and lots of water. He thinks the water came in through the rubber plug under the drivers seat. He is in the process of cleaning and drying everything. Looks like you hit nail on the head.
                        Thanks
                        Joe
I've been there before that's why I knew.We had a car come in with a water leak and the body shop repaired it and removed the interior to dry it out.They told me about the windows and the locks so i could fix them.I asked them to leave the interior in case that splice was bad.They didn't so after a few days I got the car and removed the seats and lifted the carpet.It was wet again because there was still a leak.Theya sked me to leave it apart so they could fix the other leak.I put it back together so they had to take it back apart,the same as they did to me.Pretty easy to remember a situation like that.Please take the time to give me positive feedback, I will do the same for you.Make sure they check the water leak for you too.
Reply to Davo's Post: Hi Dave
Will let you know how everything goes. I think I will put some Duct Seal and tape over the splice before he puts it back together. The duct Seal will waterproof the splice.
                          Joe
Did he find the splice yet?I hope evrything goes well and look forward to hearing back from you.
Reply to Davo's Post: Hi Dave
As far as I know he has. He is in the process of drying everything out, the rubber or foam under the carpet is saturated with water. I have not seen him in two days, cutting wood for winter heat. I'll let you know as soon as I can get there, maybe early next week. Got to get this wood cut and split while the weather is sunny,lots of rain this year in New York's Adirondack's
Just make sure the water leak is checked also.If it keeps leaking the floor will rot out and so will the carpet.
Reply to Davo's Post: Hi Dave
   Was able to get over to the garage today. We found the splice and cleaned it up. Everything is a-ok and working good. He has been very busy with the snowbirds getting their autos suviced to go south for the Winter. He is going to start waterproofing the splice and holes. The splice will get duct seal and tape. The plug and any other holes will get sealed and resealed with duct seal, that should waterproof it plenty good.
    I want to thank you for the help. If you are ever planning a vacation in New York's Adirondacks, [Long Lake, NY] give us a call. Maybe we could have dinner together, our treat. We are the the only Irelands in the Phone book.
                      Thanks Again
                      Joseph Ireland
                      [email protected]
Glad everything has worked out for you.If I ever make it up that way I may take you up on that dinner.
Reply to Davo's Post: Anytime. Be glad to
            Joe
Davo
Davo
Davo, Master technician