Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My tires are constantly loosing air

Customer Question
. I am filling...
My tires are constantly loosing air . I am filling them every 2 or 3 days. I am being told that it is a problem called perocity. Apparantely, the crome is peeling off the rim and causing air pockets, breaking the seal on the tire.    Have you ever heard of this? And if so, what can be done to retify it.

Thank you

Dianne Stark
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
7/25/2006
Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 11 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Hello Dianne, are these the stock factory wheels or are they aftermarket wheels?
Reply to BOBBY's Post: these are factory rims that came on the car. i did have new tires put on the car about a year ago and I have had the tires checked more than once for leakage. However, this problem did not exist when I had the original tires on the car. How do you explain that?
Now you mentioned the chrome. Is it coming off around where the tire contacts the rim?
Reply to BOBBY's Post: It is not peeling off on the outside of the rim. All the trouble is inside where it abuts the tire but I don't think it is peeling off as much as it is bubbling up.
If the rims are peeling then there must be a reason. It is usually from contamination of some sort. This will usually cause the rim to start to pit making it hard to seal the tire. It is normal for tires to lose air and need to be refilled about once a month, but you need it too often. It sounds like you may want to think about getting new wheels or having yours rechromed.
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Reply to BOBBY's Post: I understand what you are saying but is this a common problem? Isn't this a safety issue? Should the dealer or manufacturer warranty these rims? My car is only two years old but the dealer says they will not warranty them because I have passed the 36,000 miles. What's your input?
The problem with chrome is that it can easily go bad as it gets hot and cold and dirty. There are different chemical that you pick up on the road that can eat at the chrome. Even chrome wheel manufacturers usually only giv a year warranty on the chrome. I will send you a service bulletin about it though. This may get you some kind of response from the dealer.

Bulletin No.: 05-03-10-003B

Date: April 13, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Low Tire Pressure, Leaking Cast Aluminum Wheels (Repair with Adhesive Sealant)

Models:
2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2006-2007 Saab 9-7X

with Cast Aluminum Wheels

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 model year and include Saturn, Saab 9-7X models and Canadian dealers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-10-003A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low tire pressure condition.

Diagnosis of the low tire pressure condition indicates an air leak through the cast aluminum wheel.

Cause

Porosity in the cast aluminum wheel may be the cause.

Correction

1.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate service procedure in SI.

2.
Locate the leaking area by inflating the tire to 276 kPa (40 psi) and dipping the tire/wheel assembly in a water bath, or use a spray bottle with soap and water to locate the specific leak location.

Important:

^
If the porosity leak is located in the bead area of the aluminum rim (where the tire meets the rim), the wheel should be replaced.

^
If two or more leaks are located on one wheel, the wheel should be replaced.

3.
If air bubbles are observed, mark the location.

^
If the leak location is on the tire/rubber area, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-001A or newer - Tire Puncture Repair Procedures for All Cars and Light Duty Trucks.

^
If the leak is located on the aluminum wheel area, continue with the next step.

4.
Inscribe a mark on the tire at the valve stem in order to indicate the orientation of the tire to the wheel.

5.
Dismount the tire from the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting.

6.
Remove the tire pressure sensor. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-16-002 regarding tire pressure sensor grommet replacement, and the appropriate Tire Pressure Sensor removal procedure in SI.

7.
Scuff the INSIDE rim surface at the leak area with # XXXXX grit paper and clean the area with general purpose cleaner, such as 3M® General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, P/N 08984, or equivalent.

8.
Apply a 3 mm (0.12 in) thick layer of Silicone - Adhesive/Sealant, P/N 12378478 (in Canada, use 88900041), or equivalent, to the leak area.

9.
Allow for the adhesive/sealant to dry.

Note: Caution must be used when mounting the tire so as not to damage the sealer. Damaging the repair area may result in an air leak.

10.
Align the inscribed mark on the tire with the valve stem on the wheel.

11.
Reinstall the Tire Pressure Sensor. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-16-002 regarding tire pressure sensor grommet replacement, and the appropriate Tire Pressure Sensor installation procedure in SI.

12.
Mount the tire on the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting.

13.
Pressurize the tire to 276 kPa (40 psi) and inspect for leaks.

14.
Adjust tire pressure to meet the placard specification.

15.
Balance the tire/wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Assembly Balancing - Off - Vehicle.

16.
Install the tire and wheel assembly onto the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate service procedure in SI.

Reply to BOBBY's Post: Appreciate the info. Now that I know that there was a documented bulletin about the problem, I atleast have other cases to reference.

Thank you
Not a problem, and if you need anything else just let me know.
FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician