Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

96 cavalier: wont start..fuel pressure regulator..cylinders

Customer Question
I have a 96 Cavalier...
I have a 96 Cavalier 2.2L- turns over won't start- we have fuel pressure, feul filter is clear changed fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires- good compression in all cylinders,we have spark but still will not start- any ideas?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
4/28/2006
Auto Mechanic: 32roadster, Automotive Mechanic replied 11 years ago
32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic

What is the battery voltage out put with key off and key on?

In OFF, you should have 12.6+ volts

In ON, you should have 13+ volts

If not within spec, have the alternator checked and have the battery recharged.

If the alternator has been checked and is OK, then check for vacuum leaks. If no vacuum leaks are present, then check the ignition switch:

using a test light:

• Turn the ignition key off and disconnect the wire connector at the module.
  • Disconnect the S terminal of the starter solenoid to prevent the engine from cranking when the ignition is in the run position.
  • Turn the key to the run position and probe the red wire connection to check for voltage.
  • Check for voltage at the battery terminal of the ignition coil using the test light.
  • Next, turn the key to the start position and check for voltage at the white wire connector at the module and the battery terminal of the ignition coil. If voltage is present, the switch and its circuit are okay.

using a DMM(digital multimeter):

• Turn the ignition switch to the off position and back-probe, with the meter's positive lead, the power feed wire at the module.
  • Connect the meter's negative to a good ground at the distributor base.
  • Turn the ignition to the run or start position as needed, and measure the voltage.
  • The reading should be at least 90% of battery voltage.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: Car has a new battery and alternator- car turns over fine- seems to chug almost as a backfire when cranking.

Whats the mileage of the car?

Do the checks I mentioned above. If vacuum leaks are present, fix them, and if it still wont start, check the ignition switch. One of the 2 is the culprit.

Reply to 32roadster's Post: None of your answers helped- car still will not start- have spark, fuel replaced coil pack nothing- turns over great.

You need to verify that injectors are firing? First make sure that there is power reaching them. Then use a noid light to check for proper pulse.

What did you check spark with? Did you make sure that you have GOOD spark?

Also, before this issue started, why did the car fail? explain as thorough as possible,please.

Reply to 32roadster's Post: Good spark, checked everyway possible- injectors are firing don't know if firing properly. Changed alternator and battery- car ran fine for 1 day- next day car started- my daughter pulled from parking lot- car loss power, started missing, when pressing accelerator a popping & no power- could not restar after.
I am assuming you gapped the plugs to spec and you put the wires in the correct order. That said, its probably not an ignition fault. We do need to rule out the fuel system though, so its a good idea to put some engine start fluid in the manifold and try to start it that way. If the fluid helps then we need to focus on the fuel system. If not, then you need to check the MAP and TPS sensors.
32roadster
32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic