Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How to install a water pump in my 1992 Ford explorer.....

Customer Question
1992 Ford Explorer. I need to...
1992 Ford Explorer.
I need to get the fan off to install the water pump

Optional Information:
1992 Ford Explorer v-6

Already Tried:
Everything and no luck

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
2/6/2006
Auto Mechanic: Michael, Auto Service Technician replied 11 years ago
Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM or VIN X Engine?

Here are both procedures if you are not sure.

4.0L Engine (VIN X)

See Figures 4 to 13

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old. Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: To service the water pump, first drain the cooling system, then remove the engine fan/clutch ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... and the fan shroud from the vehicle

1. Remove the fan and fan clutch assembly.

See the engine fan removal procedure in this section.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump. Position a drain pan underneath to catch any coolant

1. Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

2. On 1997-99 Explorer/Mountaineer models, remove the radiator.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... before removing the accessory drive belt ...

1. Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

2. Except 1997-99 Explorer/Mountaineer models, loosen the alternator mounting bolts and remove the belt. On vehicles with air conditioning, remove the tensioner pulley, alternator and bracket.

3. Except 1997-99 Explorer/Mountaineer models, remove the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket, without disconnecting the lines, and set off to the side.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: ... then with the drive belt out of the way, finish removing the water pump pulley

1. Remove the water pump pulley.

2. Disconnect the heater hose at the pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Remove the heater hose connection at the water pump

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Remove all of the water pump attaching bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: ... then remove the pump from the engine

1. Remove the attaching bolts and remove the water pump.

To install:

1. Clean the mounting surfaces of the pump and front cover thoroughly. Remove all traces of gasket material.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Remove all traces of the old gasket before installing the pump

1. Apply adhesive gasket sealer to both sides of a new gasket and place the gasket on the pump.

2. Position the pump on the cover and install the bolts finger-tight. When all bolts are in place, torque them to 72-108 inch lbs. (8.5-12 Nm).

3. Install the pulley.

4. On vehicles with air conditioning, install the alternator, bracket and tensioner pulley.

5. Install the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket.

6. Install and adjust the drive belt.

7. Connect the hoses and tighten the clamps.

8. Install the fan and clutch assembly.

9. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

10. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.

4.0L SOHC Engine (VIN E)

2. Drain the cooling system.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old. Remove the fan and fan clutch assembly.

1. Remove the radiator.

2. Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

3. Remove the accessory drive belt and the idler pulley.

4. Slide the bypass hose clamp back, away from the pump.

5. Disconnect the heater hose at the pump.

6. Remove the lower radiator hose.

7. Remove the water pump pulley.

8. Remove all of the water pump attaching bolts. Pay attention to the locations of any stud bolts.

9. Remove the water pump.

To install:

2. Apply adhesive gasket sealer to both sides of a new gasket and place the gasket on the pump.

3. Position the pump on the cover, while connecting the bypass hose to the pump, and install the bolts finger-tight. When all bolts are in place, torque them to 72-108 inch lbs. (6-9 ft. lbs. or 8.5-12 Nm).

4. Position the bypass hose clamp back to its original position.

5. Install the water pump pulley and its attaching bolts. Snug the bolts.

6. Connect the lower radiator and heater hoses to the water pump.

7. Install the belt idler pulley.

8. Lift the accessory drive belt tensioner and install the belt.

9. Securely tighten the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

10. Install the radiator and the engine fan.

11. Refill and bleed the cooling system.

12. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

Michael
Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician