Car

2002 chevy tracker: it runs fine..few minutes..fuel filter..gas cap…

Customer Question
i have a 2002 chev...
i have a 2002 chev tracker. it runs fine for a while then when you slow for a red light or idle for a few minutes, it shuts off and will not start for about 15-30 minutes. i have changed the fuel filter and gas cap.

Optional Information:
2002 Chevrolet tracker 4 cy

Already Tried:
changed fuel filter and gas... Read full answer

Optional Information:
2002 Chevrolet tracker 4 cy

Already Tried:
changed fuel filter and gas cap

Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Car
12/28/2005
Auto Mechanic: GearHead1, Auto Mechanic replied 13 years ago
GearHead1
GearHead1, Auto Mechanic
You may have just a bad connection at a critical engine sensor or a sensor that is just failing intermittently. You could purchase a cheap code puller for under 50 bucks and try to read it when it faults. Does the fault happen frequently or just rarely? Is the problem heat related? does it only happen when the engine is at full warm up temperature or does it happen when cold also? The only other thing I could suggest is checking some electrical connections low voltage to the ecu will cause intermittent erratic faults. Did the service shops retrieve any info from your ecu that might help us determine your problem? inspect your wiring for damaged, loose, corroded, or burnt connections at the battery, starter and engine harness connections. Fusible links can cause problems like this because the often do not completely sever an electrical connection until they have drawn enough amperage to melt the fusible link completely.

GearHead1
GearHead1, Auto Mechanic
it happens when the car is fully warm. an example is on the last on trip, when we stopped for gas and stopped at a red light, is when it happened. or when we went the the drive thru at wendys ect. it just shuts off and after a few minutes when it starts it runs very ruff and then starts to do ok again. it is almost like it is vapor locking, the last check we had did not show anything. we did have problems with the catt. converter, but chevy changed that.
my first suspect would be an o2 sensor then. But you may very well have other problems that will be difficult or costly to correct or diagnose unless you can capture the fault on the ECU.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
2000 chevy malibu: faster than..Fuel pump and fuel filter..Chevrolet
A 2000 Chev Malibu won't go faster than 50 mpr. Fuel pump and fuel filter has been changed and it still won't pick up speed. Optional Information: 2000 Chevrolet Malibu ? Already Tried: changed the fu… read more
32roadster
32roadster
Service Technician,
350 chevy truck: my spark plugs, distributer cap, rotor..fuel filter
I just finished changing my spark plugs, distributer cap, rotor, wires and fuel filter. This is in a 1995 350 chevy truck , it now runs more rough than before. I was almost down to empty and got a sma… read more
Danny
Danny
Service Manager / Foreman,
Vocational tech. and College
87 chevy camaro: 1987 Chevrolet camaro..v8..changing..hoses
on a 87 chev camaro why would there be gas going to the cole canaster when it should be just fums Optional Information: 1987 Chevrolet camaro v8 305 Already Tried: changing the cole can.changed the ho… read more
Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
97 chevy suburban: up to intake manifold module..ran fine..drove
97 chev suburban,5.7 fi, new pump,new filter,gas pressure up to intake manifold module, will not start,good spark, can dump fuel in intake manually and get it to start. Prior to not running at all, re… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
2001 Chevrolet: Silverado 8.1 Ltr Truck stall..freeway..Fuel Filter
Why is my 2001 Chev. Silverado 8.1 Ltr Truck stall while on the freeway and take 30-60 seconds to restart and not do it to any pattern??? Optional Information: 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 8.1 LTR Already… read more
Danny
Danny
Service Manager / Foreman,
Vocational tech. and College
1990 Volvo: 740 - 4 cyl..Non Turbo..Neutral speed shuts up to 2600 rpm
I have a 1990 Volvo, 740 - 4 Cyl, 8 Valves Non Turbo, AUTOMATIC, My problem is that the car does not Idles. Once started in Neutral speed shuts up to 2600 RPM, then when transmission is engaged to Dri… read more
Michael
Michael
Work Equip. Repair Foreman,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1996 Chevrolet: 1996 chev 1500 5.7 sfi..throttle body..manifold
1996 chev 1500 5.7 sfi will not start unless i pour gas down throttle body. just replaced fuel pump and filter ,cleaned out tank and lines great pressure to manifold any suggestions Optional Informati… read more
mike
mike
retired,
1995 chevy lumina: check engine light..runs good..rough..idling
I have a 1995 chev lumina that has has a new gas tanks fuel pump and filter.it shows no signs of check engine light comming on but it runs good some times and rough other times. sometime going down th… read more
Firsthogman
Firsthogman
Meter Specialist I,
93 chevy lumina: cutting..mins..1993 Chevrolet lumina..fuel filter
i have a 93 chev lumina 4 dr car it stopped on me and we thought i needed a tuneup and new filters but it keeped cutting off.it will start up and run for about 5 mins and cutoff again what could be wr… read more
john
john
Mechanic,
1991 chevy lumina: Stalls often and wont start..runs ok..erratically
1991 Chev Lumina 3.1L engine. Stalls often and won't start after stalling for several hours. Runs OK for a while but will stall erratically. Doesn't seem to relate to outdoor temperature. The stalling… read more
Auto Hut
Auto Hut
Service Manager,
10 blazer: fuel filter..park..idle fine..Information: 1992 Chevrolet
replaced wires cap rotor fuel filter tps sensor still wants to cutoff when applying gas but not when you are in park sitting still. will idle fine but does this when you apply a load on the motor. Opt… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Tracker: comming..stopping..a few minutes, the car shuts down
i have a "o2" tracker with about 55000 miles on it. my problem is after traveling for a while at any speed, and comming to a red light or stopping to idle for a few minutes, the car shuts down. after … read more
john
john
Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
1991 chevy lumina: buck..slowing..starts right..it runs fine
i have a 1991 chevy lumina - been in to the shop many times - no idea what would cause the car to buck + stall after driving it a while, usually on the thruway, upon slowing the car down after getting… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
93 toyota Camry: dies..pulls..car off for 30 seconds and it runs fine
93 toyota Camry while running it appears to starve for gas. Push on gas and it dies down leave up and it pulls. Pull over and shut car off for 30 seconds and it runs fine for 10 or 15 miles. Then it j… read more
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000
Automotive Technician/Asst Service Manag,
97 Chevy Blazer: driving along..slow down..gas pedal down..it restarts
97 Chevy Blazer--driving along it starts to slow down even with the gas pedal down. Stop. Put it in park and it restarts and will go for another 15 miles or so. Have changed the fuel filter, had the i… read more
john
john
Mechanic,
hesitation in the engine..mass air flow sensor and fuel filter
i have a hesitation in the engine that is constantant it not happening at a idle. If i press that gas it would go hestitate then go. I change wire and plugs change the mass air flow sensor and fuel fi… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
2002 Chevrolet malibu: the car ran out of gas so we..tank..stumped..cy
the car ran out of gas so we filled the tank but it still will not start please help im stumped Optional Information: 2002 Chevrolet malibu 6 cy Already Tried: the gas and the battery… read more
AUTO DIAGNOSTIC TECH,
1996 buick century: sedan..my check engine light is on..new fuel
i have a 1996 buick century sedan v6. it starts fine, but idles high than low for the first 1-3 minutes, and when i go to give it gas during those first few minutes it idles so low that it wants to sh… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,