Car

1989 Buick Regal: 2.8L..V6..It runs great but it will simply stall…

Customer Question
I have a 1989 Buick...
I have a 1989 Buick Regal 2.8L V6. It runs great but it will simply stall when you least expect it and then it may not start again for 5-40min but then it may stall again and the same, 5-40min of trying to start it again. It dose not matter if cold or hot. It may run fine for 1 or 2 weeks then it may give me stalling problems while driving or... Read full answer
I have a 1989 Buick Regal 2.8L V6. It runs great but it will simply stall when you least expect it and then it may not start again for 5-40min but then it may stall again and the same, 5-40min of trying to start it again. It dose not matter if cold or hot. It may run fine for 1 or 2 weeks then it may give me stalling problems while driving or not driving. It may not even stall, it may not start at all when you go to start it after 12 hours of it just sitting. I have had it in and checked and no error code's were reported. Fuel pressure is 38psi and steady. When I have taken it in I was able to drive it that day fine and was told that everything checked out good. He said he can find nothing wrong at all. But I still have this problem. When the car is hot it may or may not stall and then be hard to restart but it always restarts sooner or later, within an hour but it may stall again as quickly as 1 min later as I try to drive again. This may happen when the car is cold. It may happen and has been noticed to happen when the car is really wet, has been washed within the last 24 to 48 hours or if it has been raining out all day. I thought that was it but it also acts up when it is dry and has not been wet for a week. I thought dirty fuel injectors so I added injector cleaner but that has not solved this problem. I did add dry gas first off but that did not solve this. I have not had the car over 6 weeks. I bought it from a used car lot and because it has over 100,000 miles no warranty. I need to figure this out as it is making my driving life vary unpredictable. I hope you have some ideas. Thank you.

Optional Information:
1989 Buick Regal 2.8L V6

Already Tried:
It is all in my question. If something is not too hard to do I usually try to do it myself but otherwise I will have someone trainned do it.

Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Car
12/11/2005
Auto Mechanic: john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors replied 13 years ago
john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Sounds like an ignition coil problem.I would try picking one up and see if that solves your problem.I think it will-but if not -get back to me and I will try to help you.
I don't understand, I thought an ignition coil only helps start the car, how can this be the solution to a stalling car? It is 90% of the time starting problem after stall.
THe ignition coil fires your spark plugs-no fire-no run- Many times when a coil warms up it will quit if it is going bad.
john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
International Scout scout 800 a: Hi .. thanks for your help
Hi .. thanks for your help in the past .. I have 2 Internationals and I think that i was confusing in my last communication with you .. so I will start fresh .. here is the question and info on my 196… read more
SHOP OWNER,
1996 Buick Regal: 3.8 engine..My car stalls..pull..restart
I have a 1996 Buick Regal 3.8 engine. My car stalls when driving. Sometimes I have to pull over and restart it. Sometimes my car jerks, the battery light comes on, my car seems to die, the battery lig… read more
Mauricio
Mauricio
94 buick lesabre custom: v6..randomly stall..doesnt happen..warning
I have a '94 buick lesabre custom, v6 3.8L. the problem i am having with the car is that it will randomly stall while driving. It doesn't happen when anything in particular happens, i could be driving… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
2002 buick rendezvous: front wheel..a bump ect if I..shake..raining
I have a 2002 Buick Rendevou (spelling) anyways I get a loud squeeking sound from my driver side front wheel when going over a bump ect if I shake the car I can make the same sound. The problem is it … read more
Auto Technician,
1999 buick regal: car would stall and die running..electrical problem
I have a 1999 buick regal 3.8 liter engine and in the past 2 weeks i noticed the anti lock light was coming on and the car would stall and die running on the road. Now is really dead it won''t start a… read more
Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench
my 2000 jimmy wont run..My engine light is always on..going to stall
my 2000 jimmy won''t run when it is cold or wet outside. My engine light is always on. It tends to sound like it is going to stall out when I step on the gas. Has stalled while driving a few times and… read more
diagman
diagman
Store leader,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1988 buick regal: run fine..20 minutes..fuel filter,crankshaft sensor
i have a 1988 buick regal with about 90 95000 miles when not started for at least a day car will start and run fine for 10 -20 minutes than shuts off and will not start again .i have changed the fuel … read more
Randy
Randy
1995 buick regal: Runs fine..it starts stalling at stop lights
I have a 1995 buick regal. Runs fine for about an hour or two. After that it starts stalling at stop lights. Run it for 3 or 4 miles without stopping and it runs good again. Shut it off for 10 min. an… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
1995 Buick Regal: stalls..20 minutes..The service engine soon light
My 1995 Buick Regal stalls out after driving it for about 20 minutes. The service engine soon light does not come on. It always restarts but the same thing happens after driving it a short distance.… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Buick Regal: v6 2.8L w/ ac...engine turns a couple..same thing
I have a "88 Buick Regal V6 2.8L w/ac. When I try to start it, the engine turns a couple of times and than stops as if the battery was bad, so I replaced the battery today and it still does the same t… read more
Wydranator
Wydranator
Retired Corrections officer,
1989 oldsmobile cutlass Ciera: it dies..out.I..car shakes..violently
I have a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutless Ciera and it dies,at certain times,for a reason I can't figure out.I can feel it starting/trying to die when I apply the brakes.The car shakes violently right before t… read more
Michael
Michael
Work Equip. Repair Foreman,
94 Buick Regal: well maintained..sensors replaced..One mechanic..96
Gentlemen - Do you have any solutions/suggestions for a '94 Buick Regal that quits running for no reason? It's a 3.8 engine, has had the gas valve replaced, has been well maintained, has had sensors r… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
Stop searching for answers—
94 Buick Regal: V6..stall..I drive for awhile (roughly..drives fine
I have a 94 Buick Regal 3.8 V6. When I start up the car it tends to stall and hesitate, after I drive for awhile (roughly a minute) the car then drives fine. What is the issue?… read more
RIP
RIP
Lead Technician,
1994 buick lesabre: v6..stalls..spark plugs and wires..sensors
I have a 1994 buick lasabre 3800 v6, the car runs fine until it warms up then it will run down the road fine but as soon as I slow up or brake it stalls. so far I have replaced the intake gaskets, spa… read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,
93 Buick: stalls..doesnt restart, the engine cranks fine.
My '93 Buick Custom stalls unpredictably, sometimes it will restart, sometimes I have to wait. Happens when in motion and when stopped at a light. When it doesn't restart, the engine cranks fine. I dr… read more
craig swanson
craig swanson
lead mechanic and auto repair shop owner,
1999 buick regal: LS...the service engine soon light came on..drove
I have a 1999 buick regal LS. the other day the "service engine soon" light came on. I changed the oil and rest the light. Later on I drove the car 300+ miles. On this drive the car almost stalled twi… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
1989 Buick GS: sparkplug..coil..with a 3.1 engine, 6 cylinder
How do I replace the back sparkplug wires & coil on a 1989 Buick GS Regal Gran Sport with a 3.1 engine, 6 cylinder. I have been told I have to pull the motor. Is this true. I can't seem to get my hand… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
car doesnt want to accelerate/stalls at certain times
i recently bought a 91 toyota camry, auto, 4cyl about 2 months ago. within the first month i've had the car, the problem only happened 3 times. i'd be driving to work (aXXXXX and after i was driving f… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,