Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 Oldsmobile alero: steering wheel..reservoir..cam

Customer Question
when steering wheel is turned...
when steering wheel is turned no fluid is churning in reservoir. pump is direct connected to cam.

Optional Information:
2001 Oldsmobile alero 4

Already Tried:
visual inspection

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Car
12/5/2005
Auto Mechanic: john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors replied 12 years ago
john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Your description sounds like you may have a restriction in your line or a faulty flow controll valve. Pressure would need to be checked to determine the actual problem.I don't know if you are mechanical and want to check this yourself,you would need the proper tools.If you would like.I can send you the test procedure,just let me know.If your power steering pump was making noise prior to this,I would say you have possible pump damage.
john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
i need specific alero information. I have 30+ years experience. this car has a pumop direct connected to rhe motor, no belt. Im told there is an electrical sensor for pressure and a reset for it. have you had experience with this? my next step is the library.
I have no knowledge of the POWER STEERING SENSOR??? If there is such an item,I have never seen one and my repair info doesn't show anything like that.

Bleeding the Power Steering System

Tools Required
  • J 35555 Metal Mityvac
  • J 43485 Power Steering Bleeder Adapter

Important

Hoses touching the frame, body, or engine may cause system noise.

1. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.

Important

Loose connections may not leak, but could allow air into the steering system.

2. Verify that all hose connections are tight.
    Object Number: 443644  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Notice

If the power steering system has been serviced, an accurate fluid level reading cannot be obtained unless air is bled from the steering system. The air in the fluid may cause pump cavitation noise and may cause pump damage over a period of time.

Important

Maintain the fluid level throughout the bleed procedure.

3. Remove the pump reservoir cap.

Important

Use clean, new power steering fluid only.

4. Fill the pump reservoir with fluid to the FULL COLD level.
    Object Number: 443646  Size: SH

5. Attach the J 43485 to the J 35555 or equivalent.
  6. Place the J 43485 on or in the pump reservoir filler neck.
  7. Apply a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg) maximum.
  8. Wait 5 minutes. Typical vacuum drop is 7-10 kPa (2-3 in Hg). If the vacuum does not remain steady, refer to Excessive Vacuum Drop Diagnosis at the end of this procedure.
  9. Remove the J 43485 and the J 35555 .
  10. Reinstall the pump reservoir cap.
  11. Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle.
  12. Turn off the engine.
  13. Verify the fluid level. Repeat steps 11-13 until the fluid stabilizes.

Important

Do not turn steering wheel to lock.

14. Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle.
  15. Turn the steering wheel 180-360 degrees in both directions 5 times.
  16. Switch the ignition off.

Notice

When adding fluid or making a complete fluid change, always use the proper power steering fluid. Failure to use the proper fluid will cause hose and seal damage and fluid leaks.

17. Verify the fluid level.
    Object Number: 443644  Size: SH

18. Remove the pump reservoir cap.
    Object Number: 443646  Size: SH

19. Attach the J 43485 to the J 35555 or equivalent.
  20. Place the J 43485 on or in the pump reservoir filler neck.
  21. Apply a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg) maximum.
  22. Wait 5 minutes.
  23. Remove the J 43485 and the J 35555 .
  24. Verify the fluid level.
    Object Number: 443656  Size: SH

25. Reinstall the pump reservoir cap.

Excessive Vacuum Drop Diagnosis

Object Number: 443667  Size: SH

1. If the vacuum continues to drop, remove the pressure and return hose from the pump.
  2. Install the plugs (1,2) supplied with the J 43485 into the pressure and return port.
    Object Number: 443646  Size: SH

3. Attach the J 43485 to the J 35555 or equivalent.
  4. Place the J 43485 on or in the pump reservoir filler neck.
  5. Apply a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg) maximum.
  6. If the vacuum drops again, repair or replace the pump. If the vacuum holds steady, continue to check the other parts of the steering system.

Important

Fluid must be free from bubbles and foam. Be aware of periodic bubbles that indicate a loose connection or leaking O-ring seal in the return hose or the pressure hose.

Fluid must be free from discoloration.

7. Observe the fluid.
  8. If condition persists, replace the following parts:

• The return hose clamps
    • The return hose O-rings
    • The pressure hose O-rings
    • The gear cylinder line O-rings
    • The reservoir to pump O-ring

9. Repeat the bleed procedure from the beginning.
  10. Drive the vehicle approximately 16 km (10 mi) in order to warm the system to operating temperature. Evaluate vehicle on a smooth flat surface.
  11. Verify the following conditions:

• There is smooth power assist.
    • The vehicle operates quietly.
    • The pump maintains the proper fluid level.
    • There is not any leaking in the steering system.
    • The fluid is free of foam or discoloration.

this system is a saginaw rack & pinion w/ speed sensor.
Auto Mechanic: Davo, Master technician replied 12 years ago
Davo
Davo, Master technician
Either the pump is bad or the cam shaft is broken/stipped and can't turn the pump.I'll place my bet on the pump being bad.I have made this a free post as a courtesy to a customer and a fellow expert.
Thanks for your help. found the problem, the pump bolts directly to the rear of the head, the pump has a splined shaft that inserts into the cam. The shaft was twisted off approximately 5/8in.in the cam. I thought you might want to hear what it was, it was a new one on me!
Like I said the pump was bad,glad you found the problem and got your car fixed.
john
john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors